The winner was awarded an Amazon Echo, Echo Dot and Amazon Tap* ($399 value)
Each winner was awarded an Amazon Echo* ($179 value)
Each winner was awarded an Amazon Tap* ($129 value)
Each winner was awarded a $100 gift cards for first 20 contestants to complete an eligible contest submission and have the skill published (skill must be published between the contest start and end dates). * Only United States residents will receive devices as prizes. Intern... ($100 value)
GREAT NEWS! We just added a virtual Alexa Skill testing tool
The Amazon Echo Simulator (EchoSim) is browser-based interface to Alexa, the cloud-based voice assistant that powers the Echo. EchoSim responds visually, aurally, and programmatically like a real Echo.
- Log in with your Amazon account.
- Click and hold the microphone button and speak a command as you would on the Echo. For example, say, “Alexa, what's the weather today?”
- When you let go of the button, EchoSim processes and responds to your voice command.
- To speak your next command, simply click and hold the microphone button again.
- Some features of the hardware Amazon Echo, such as streaming music and far-field voice recognition, will not function with this tool.
Natural user interfaces, such as those based on speech, represent the next major disruption in computing. Alexa provides you with an opportunity to take advantage of the new form of interaction. Alexa, the voice service that powers Amazon Echo, provides capabilities, or skills, that enable customers to interact with devices in a more intuitive way using voice. You can build skills using the Alexa Skills Kit. We’re announcing a contest to encourage voice technology innovation with Alexa. Submit your great skill ideas for our Alexa Skill Contest – extra points when your skill is published. We’re excited to see what you create.
We’re announcing a contest to give developers like you a chance to connect your favorite hardware, IoT platform, and everyday life using Alexa.
Here is your chance to create something the will endure. A step-change in the world of IoT.
Alexa, the voice of Amazon Echo, provides developer-designed capabilities, or skills, that let users interact with devices in a more intuitive way. Skills enable voice commands to play music, set an alarm or timer, control home automation, change hardware settings, and more.
For developers, the Alexa Skills Kit – a collection of self-service APIs, tools, documentation and code samples – makes it easier and faster to create new skills. Since all of the code runs in the cloud, you don't need an Amazon Echo to build or test your skills.
So show us what you’ve got. Build Alexa skills that demonstrate how voice allows us to interact with devices in innovative, fun, and useful ways. No hardware required for this contest!
Amazon will judge all entries and select winners based on the following criteria:
- Creativity (15 points)
- Use of Voice User Interface (VUI) best practices (15 points)
- Story/Instruction – Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video (15 Points)
- Published Skill (20 Points) (read more about skill submission criteria)
- Project Documentation including VUI diagram (10 Points)
- Code – Include working code with helpful comments (10 Points)
- Great photographs, videos and screenshots (10 Points)
- Bonus: Use AWS Lambda to build your project, land extra points (5 points)
You are encourage to build and submit more than one skill! We look forward to seeing what you create!
Build and submit Amazon Alexa Skills to win awesome prizes! You don't need an Echo to participate. No hardware required! Just build and submit an Amazon Alexa Skill.
P.S. This contest's prizes are available for participants in the US only. For winners living outside of the US, a gift card of equivalent value will be sent.
Join us for weekly Alexa Skills Kit office hours with an Amazon Alexa technical evangelist. Bring your questions on voice design, the Alexa Skills Kit, skill certification and how to use AWS services like AWS Lambda with your skill. Discussing your voice design and skill use case will help you make sure you are designing a great voice experience and get your skill certified more quickly.
Amazon, Echo, Echo Dot, Amazon Tap, Alexa and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
$100 gift cards for first 20 contestants to complete an eligible contest submission and have the skill published (skill must be published between the contest start and end dates).
- Only United States residents will receive devices as prizes. International winners will receive gift card equivalents.
April 8, 2016 at 8:00AM PT
May 31, 2016 at 12:59PM PT
Winners announced by
Jun 15, 2016