The challengeCombine the power of Xilinx adaptive computing platforms with Vivado® ML, Vitis™ unified software platform, and Vitis AI development environment to solve real-world problems!
Xilinx makes adaptive computing accessible to hardware, software, and AI developers alike. Serving many industries like automotive, data center, healthcare, wireless communication, and many more, adaptive computing is behind the innovations changing the world, empowering a new generation of intelligent, efficient applications.
This year’s challenge consists of three new categories: Edge Computing, Data Center AI and Big Data Analytics. Each category will have a top prize of $10,000 USD!
To foster innovation in adaptive compute acceleration in the academic setting, we have a special $2,500 cash award sponsored by the Xilinx University Program (XUP), where university students can submit their projects in addition to the three regular contest categories.
We are also introducing another special award “Women in Technology” with a cash prize of $2,500 USD. Teams composed by a majority (50% or more) of women are eligible to submit their project for this award in addition to the three regular contest categories.Category 1: Edge Computing with Xilinx Kria™ KV260 Vision AI Starter Kit
AI-enabled applications are increasingly being deployed at the edge. Cities are becoming safer with automated vision applications, Industrial IoT applications are requiring high-performance AI inference processing, and even retail is changing with smart check-out experiences. These applications require high performance and must be delivered in an efficient, reliable, and compact form factor.
- Smart Camera, AI Box with ReID, Defect Detection, AI Box for Auto License Plate Recognition, Facial Recognition, NLP-SmartVision
- Use Xilinx Kria KV260 Vision AI Starter Kit + Basic Accessory pack
- Use Vitis and or Vitis AI
See other eligible hardware for this category in Submission Requirements.
ResourcesCategory 2: Data Center AI with Xilinx VCK5000 development card
Data centers are increasingly turning to artificial intelligence to manage various tasks from monitoring equipment to server optimization. At the heart of the data center, FPGA-based adaptive computing is proving itself to be, in many cases, the most efficient and cost-effective solution for running complex AI workloads.
Xilinx VCK5000 development card is designed for designs requiring high throughput AI inference and signal processing compute performance. You can run Tensorflow, Pytorch, Caffe models using Python or C++ APIs in minutes without any prior hardware knowledge about FPGA.
- Image classification, objection detection, segmentation, video analytics, speech recognition, time series analysis, natural language processing
- Use Xilinx VCK5000
- Use Vitis AI
See other eligible hardware for this category in Submission Requirements.
ResourcesCategory 3: Big Data Analytics with Xilinx Varium™ C1100 accelerator card
Within the Big Data Analytics framework, this contest exclusively focuses on accelerating blockchain applications including Proof of Work (PoW) algorithms that require high memory bandwidth and transaction validation for permission blockchains such as Hyperledger Fabric.
Blockchains are gaining popularity as the underlying infrastructure for applications we use every day and are predicted to lead us to the next generation of the internet in the not-too-distant future.
Xilinx Varium™ C1100 accelerator cards with 8GB of HBM memory and QSFP28 network ports provide a high-performance, adaptable hardware platform to accelerate a wide range of blockchain applications. Unleashing the power of the latest generation of technology requires the adaptable, high-performance computation capability that FPGAs can provide.
We challenge you to build solutions on Xilinx Varium™ C1100 accelerator cards that make blockchain protocols and infrastructure more efficient and scalable.
- Accelerated Blockchain PoW algorithms, Accelerated transaction validation, Accelerated enterprise blockchain-based applications, Accelerated IPFS based application demonstrating faster sealing and retrieval, Accelerated zkSnark algorithm deployed in a blockchain application, Accelerated blockchain signature verification with elliptical curve digital signature acceleration (ecdsa).
- Use a Xilinx Varium™ C1100 accelerator card.
- Use Vitis / Vivado to build a solution focused on blockchain technology. Projects that demonstrate how Xilinx technology can accelerate blockchain technology are strongly encouraged.
- Projects must be based on existing, publicly known blockchain infrastructure (Ethereum, IPFS etc)
Edge Computing 1st Place
Awarded to projects that best use Xilinx Kria KV260 Vision AI Starter Kit, along with Vitis / Vitis AI to build edge computing applications.
Edge Computing 2nd Place
Edge Computing 3rd Place
Data Center AI
Awarded to the projects that best use VCK5000 combined with Vitis AI to accelerate AI inference.
Big Data Analytics
Awarded to the best solutions on Xilinx Big Data Acceleration This is a card that makes blockchain protocols and infrastructure more efficient and scalable.
Women in Technology
To celebrate Women in Technology, individuals or teams composed by a majority (50% or more) of women are eligible to submit their project for this award in addition to the three regular contest categories.
Xilinx University Program (XUP)
To foster innovation in adaptive compute acceleration in the academic setting university students are eligible to submit their projects in addition to the three regular contest categories.
Vamsi Boppana, Senior Vice President, Central Products Group
Leads Central Products Group at Xilinx, a global organization with more than 1,600 silicon, software, and IP engineers to design and support core products for customers. Learn more about Vamsi.
Ivo Bolsens, Chief Technology Officer
Eenior vice president and chief technology officer (CTO), with responsibility for advanced technology development, Xilinx research laboratories (XRL) and Xilinx university program (XUP). Learn more about Ivo.
Salil Raje, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Data Center Group
Heads the Data Center Group (DCG) for Xilinx, leading a global team of engineering, sales, and marketing professionals dedicated to the data center – the fastest growing market for FPGAs. Learn more about Salil.
To be eligible to win hardware and prizes you must register for the Xilinx Developer Program
1. Go to https://www.xilinx.com/developer/developer-program.html and sign up for the Xilinx Developer Program.
2. Use the same email to register for the contest.
3. Go to hackster.io/xilinx and click "join community" on the top of the page.
4. Start Building your project!
In order to qualify for free hardware you must complete and score higher than 80 on the hardware quiz. The a link to the quiz will be emailed to you when you complete the application for free hardware. You can also take the quiz here:Hardware Availability
There are up to 370 total pieces of free development hardware available from Xilinx. Each category has a specific number of hardware allocated:
- KV260: up to 300pcs
- VCK5000: up to 20pcs
- Big Data Analytics Card: up to 40 pcs
- KV260 Quick Start Curriculum
- Getting Hardware: Apply for a free Xilinx Kria KV260 Vision AI Starter or purchase your own from Xilinx or our authorized distributors.
- VCK5000 Quick Start Curriculum
- Getting Hardware: Apply for a free VCK5000 development card or fill out a purchase request on Xilinx.com
Xilinx develops highly flexible and adaptive processing platforms that enable rapid innovation across a variety of technologies – from the endpoint to the edge to the cloud. Xilinx is the inventor of the FPGA, hardware programmable SoCs, and the ACAP, designed to deliver the most dynamic processor technology in the industry and enable the adaptable, intelligent, and connected world of the future. For more information, visit www.xilinx.com.
Gain reputation points!
Earn reputation points for participating in this contest:
- Submit an application to receive a free device: 5 points
- Your submitted hardware application wins: 50 points
- Submit a project entry: 10 points
- Submit a project entry 30 days before the deadline: 50 points
- Be among the first 10 to submit a project entry: 50 points
- Your submitted project entry wins the contest: 250 points
September 7, 2021 at 7:35AM PT
Applications for hardware close
October 31, 2021 at 11:59PM PT
Hardware recipients announced
November 15, 2021 at 8:00AM PT
February 28, 2022 at 8:00AM PT
Winners announced by
Mar 31, 2022