Adaptive computing is behind the innovations changing the world as we know it today across applications that span from the home, roads, hospitals and to the skies.
Xilinx and Hackster.io are challenging developers to combine the power of Xilinx adaptive computing platforms with the Vitis development environment and Vitis AI to solve real world problems of today.
Each of the 3 categories will have 3 winners with a top prize of $10,000 USD!
Submissions should highlight the programmable-logic enabled hardware acceleration capabilities of Xilinx platforms, utilize Vitis or Vitis AI, and show creativity in their design.How to Get Started
1. Register for the contest
2. Go to hackster.io/xilinx and click "join community" on the top of the page. You're ready for Step 3 when you see "You're a member".
3. Apply to receive the required hardware for free or purchase your own. Applications for hardware close on August 14th. Winners will be notified by August 21 with more information on how to receive their hardware.
4. Start building your project!
Xilinx and Avnet are giving away Ultra96-V2 bundles for 60 lucky contest participants interested in building contest entries using the Ultra96-V2. Each bundle includes (1) Ultra96-V2 board, (1) Ultra96 USB to JTAG/UART pod and (1) Power supply.
Xilinx has created a hardware loan program for contest participants interested in building applications with the more expensive hardware. There are 40 ZCU104 Evaluation Kits and 20 Alveo U50 Accelerator Cards available for applicants.
Find out more details about the loaner program and apply here.Contest Categories
CATEGORY 1: Adaptive Intelligence of Things
The age of IoT 2.0 is upon us. The "Internet of Things" has grown up and to become the "Intelligence of Things". Objects all around us are not only connected, but using data collected from sensors to make decisions and take action to improve our quality of life and drive efficiency.
Use an Avnet Ultra96-V2 board and the Vitis / Vitis AI software platform to build any "Intelligence of Things" application to show us how you'd leverage the power of adaptive computing in the age of IoT 2.0.
We're looking for the best use of hardware acceleration with programmable logic!
Example IoT 2.0 Applications
- Smart home
- Smart traffic and navigation
- Use an Avnet Ultra96-V2 Board
- Use Vitis / Vitis AI to build an Adaptive Intelligence of Things application
- Run at least one machine learning model
CATEGORY 2: Intelligent Video Analytics
We are in the age of cameras! An abundance of video data is created every millisecond in the world. All that raw video data is here to help a future with safer cities, better infrastructure, better medical diagnoses and so much more thanks to intelligent video analytics.
Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC-EV devices, with a built-in video codec unit (VCU), provide the real-time performance that is critical in so many video analytics applications.
Example Intelligent Video Analytics Applications
- Smart City
- Smart Retail
- Robotics Vision
- Medical Imaging
- Use a Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC ZCU104 Evaluation Kit
- Use Vitis / Vitis AI to build an intelligent video analytics solution
- Utilize both the video codec unit (VCU) and the deep learning processing unit (DPU) inside the Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC
- Run at least one machine learning model
CATEGORY 3: Adaptable Compute Acceleration
Data centers are the rooms where it happens! Thanks to data centers, we can stream our favorite shows, archive and access incredible amounts of information, perform machine learning inference...and the list goes on. This all, of course, creates very large and complex workloads on data centers.
Xilinx Alveo U50 Accelerator Cards help to optimize challenging workloads through hardware-accelerated computation, while staying adaptable to changing acceleration requirements and algorithm standards. On top of this Alveo cards can be deployed in any server.
We are challenging developers to build an application that leverages an Alveo U50 card combined with Vitis / Vitis AI to hardware-accelerate workloads.
Example Compute Acceleration Applications
- Financial Computing
- Machine Learning
- Computational Storage
- Data Search & Analytics
- Use Vitis and a Vitis Library to build an acceleration application on the Alveo U50
AND / OR
- Use Vitis / Vitis AI to build an AI application on the Alveo U50
Getting Your Hardware
Adaptive Intelligence of Things
Intelligent Video Analytics
Adaptable Compute Acceleration
Vamsi Bopanna, Senior Vice President, Central Products Group
Vamsi Boppana leads Central Products Group at Xilinx, a global organization with more than 1,600 silicon, software, and IP engineers to design and support core products for customers. Learn more about Vamsi.
Ivo Bolsens, Chief Technology Officer
Ivo Bolsens is senior vice president and chief technology officer (CTO), with responsibility for advanced technology development, Xilinx research laboratories (XRL) and Xilinx university program (XUP). Learn more about Ivo.
Salil Raje, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Data Center Group
Salil Raje heads the Data Center Group (DCG) for Xilinx, leading a global team of engineering, sales, and marketing professionals dedicated to the data center – the fastest growing market for FPGAs. Learn more about Salil.
Need some help getting started? Stuck on a problem? We are here to help you on your development journey with the resources below.
Xilinx Vitis Model Zoo and Developer Site
- Tap into our collection of pre-trained models in the Vitis Model Zoo to jumpstart your projects
- Access other developer resources on the Xilinx Developer Site or Vitis AI GitHub.
Exclusive Live Events
Participants in the Adaptive Computing Contest will have access to exclusive office hours, workshops and other virtual events that will place throughout the contest duration. These are designed to provide participants "in-person" opportunities to ask questions, gain skills and learn from Xilinx technical advisors. Don't miss out!
On-Demand Tutorials, Videos and Webinars
- Introduction to the Vitis Development Platform (~30 min.)
- Vitis AI Deep Dive (~40 min.)
- Development with Vitis Accelerated Libraries (~40 min.)
- Design Methodology for Developing Accelerated Applications (~35 min.)
- Whole Application Acceleration: Designing an AI-enabled System (~40 min.)
- Vitis AI Technical Labs and Tutorials
- Getting Started with Vitis and Alveo
Xilinx Community Forums
Xilinx Community Forums are where Xilinx technical staff and Xilinx users connect and troubleshoot. For topics related to this contest, we suggest these forums:
Didn't find what you were looking for? Don't forget to utilize the contest discussion board and submit your questions there!
Xilinx develops highly flexible and adaptive processing platforms that enable rapid innovation across a variety of technologies – from the endpoint to the edge to the cloud. Xilinx is the inventor of the FPGA, hardware programmable SoCs, and the ACAP, designed to deliver the most dynamic processor technology in the industry and enable the adaptable, intelligent, and connected world of the future. For more information, visit www.xilinx.com.
Gain reputation points!
Earn reputation points for participating in this contest:
- Submit a project entry: 10 points
- Submit a project entry 30 days before the deadline: 50 points
- Be among the first 10 to submit a project entry: 50 points
- Your submitted project entry wins the contest: 250 points
July 7, 2020 at 9:00AM PT
November 15, 2020 at 11:59PM PT
Winners announced by
Dec 15, 2020