1st place was awarded an Electronic Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars) ($3,000 value), 2nd place was awarded an Electronic Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars) ($2,000 value), and 3rd place was awarded an Electronic Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars) ($1,000 value)
Grand Prizes: 1st PlaceSentinel Conservation via Aerial Reconnaissance and Escort
Each winner was awarded a NXP hardware worth at least $100 ($100 value)
Bonus PrizesEagle Eye: A Social Distancing Drone
Bonus PrizesDrone Patrol for Social Distancing
Bonus PrizesThe Search for Pedestrian Hotspots
Bonus PrizesHelping Hands
Bonus PrizesG-1 Intelligent Drone for Medicine Delivery
Bonus PrizesAutonomous Robots and Applications (ARA) Team
Bonus PrizesVirtual Entertainment Touring Drone
Each winner was awarded a Special Prizes sponsored by our partners ($1,000 value)
Hackster Impact Prize
The winner was awarded a $250 Gift card + $100 Adafruit Gift card + Video interview + More ($530 value)
Pandemics threaten not only the health of everyone, they can also disrupt our way of life and inflict widespread societal and economic harm. Pandemics have the potential to break down geopolitical borders and reshape the entire course of history. The impact felt from the COVID-19 pandemic took just a few months to affect the health and livelihoods of everyone across the globe, but it has also shown just how vital technology can be in times of crisis.
We need to learn lessons from the past and find innovative ways to connect with each other, protect the vulnerable and meet critical demands in global health crises of the future. This is precisely what the NXP HoverGames seek to accomplish.
For this reason, we’re focusing on pandemics for the second challenge in the popular NXP HoverGames series. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with an innovative way to use drones to help save lives or help people during a global pandemic.
Your code is needed!
A NXP HoverGames drone should be able to carry out its mission as autonomously as possible, with the help of your code. Your drone could be activated by a signal from an ill person and fly out immediately, providing a communication and data link at the scene for emergency responders. Your drone might be a part of an automated pharmaceutical dispatch unit, carrying essential prescriptions directly to vulnerable patients in their homes.NXP HOVERGAMES IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO HELP
We want your imagination to run wild. The sky is literally the limit!
Your challenge is to come up with pioneering ways to use drones to protect people and communities, help healthcare and essential workers, and prevent the spread of the pandemic.
What will you enable your NXP HoverGames drone to do?
Drones could play a role before, during or after a pandemic – or even prevent a pandemic entirely by controlling outbreaks of disease. How could your code save lives and protect the world?
How about disinfecting surfaces, medicine delivery, dispensing hand sanitizer or masks on-demand, providing social support for quarantined patients or even collecting nasal and throat samples for testing? Or the provision of communication networks in places where internet availability is low? Drones can be flying medical personnel, flying network routers and even flying postal workers, delivering letters or handwritten notes to people in isolation.TECH YOU'LL USE
You'll use the NXP HoverGames drone development kit. This modular, open development platform uses reliable automotive and industrial-grade components from NXP. You can experiment with additional hardware components from NXP and other providers – you are only bound by your own creativity. And your drone will be PX4-enabled, the largest commercially deployed open-source flight stack worldwide with business-friendly licensing.
The kit contains:
- Flight Management Unit (RDDRONE-FMUK66 FMU) that’s supported by the opensource PX4.org flight stack on top of NuttX RTOS.
- Strong, rigid lightweight carbon fiber quadcopter frame with platform, mounting rails, landing gear, motor controllers, motors and props
- Telemetry radio and remote control (RC) radio
Take your idea and apply for a hardware coupon, now until August 16th.
The top 100 applications chosen will receive a coupon.
- If you are new to the NXP HoverGames you pay only $300 (which is a $400 discount) to get the NXP HoverGames drone reference development kit, Remote Control and Telemetry Radio. PLUS, you'll receive our 8MMNavQ experimental custom companion computer using NXP i.MX 8M Mini Vision development board, with a camera module that runs Linux and ROS.
- If you have already joined the NXP HoverGames before and have a drone, pay only $50 ($150 discount) to receive the 8MMNavQ companion computer.
Further hardware recommendations:
- Teensy: Arduino compatible incorporating Kinetis and i.MX RT MCUs
- RT1010: 500GHz for $1
- UCANS32K146: UAVCAN development for sensors and actuators
- KW38: Bluetooth long-range module
- RDDRONE-BMS772: Battery management development board
See complete contest rules. And, last but not least: stay safe and healthy! If there is a public health crisis in your area, respect social distancing rules and don’t put your health or anyone else’s at risk in order to test and develop your NXP HoverGames entry.
We want you to win! 40 submissions will win awesome NXP early access mobile robotics hardware you can use with your drone after the contest.
Special Prizes will be awared with $1000 each by our partners. Rewarded will be most innovative idea, best use of PX4 and other. Stay tuned!
Hackster Impact Prize
Join Hackster as we rally with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in order to make today's world a smarter, healthier place. The Hackster team will select five projects that best contribute to any of the SDGs. Please refer to the specific judging criteria for this prize category.
The winner will receive the following:
- a $250 gift card;
- a $100 Adafruit gift card (special prize for Secure Everything contest);
- a 12-month subscription to Patchr Premium ($180 value);
- last but not least, they will be featured in a video interview with Hackster’s one and only Alex Glow.
Please visit the Hackster Impact Prize page for more information.
Avnet (Hackster Impact)
Note: Partners will only be judging to give away their prizes.
The NXP HoverGames series of hands-on virtual embedded hardware and coding challenges unite developers around the world to address some of the biggest challenges facing society using the NXP HoverGames drove development platform. In every NXP HoverGames challenge, we’ll confront universal issues like disaster management, health crises, environmental protection, wildlife conservation and more.
Gain reputation points!
Earn reputation points for participating in this contest:
- Submit an application to receive a free device: 5 points
- Your submitted hardware application wins: 50 points
- Submit a project entry: 10 points
- Submit a project entry 30 days before the deadline: 50 points
- Be among the first 10 to submit a project entry: 50 points
- Your submitted project entry wins the contest: 250 points
June 18, 2020 at 10:00AM PT
Applications for hardware close
August 16, 2020 at 11:59PM PT
Hardware recipients announced
August 31, 2020 at 11:59PM PT
February 14, 2021 at 11:59PM PT
Winners announced by
Mar 4, 2021