- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- Hardware coupon application: Do I have to submit an idea in my Hardware Application to receive a coupon for a lower price on the hardware?
- Hardware coupon application: How many coupons are available?
- Hardware coupon application: How many ideas can I submit?
- Hardware coupon application: I was notified that I was selected as an idea winner to receive a hardware coupon. I ordered it from NXP.com. When will I receive it?
- Hardware coupon application: What happens if I receive a hardware coupon code and do not purchase the hardware?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
- I live outside the US. DoI have to pay customs fees or shipping for my drone kit?
- My drone kit malfunctioned. What can I do?
- What are my options for replacement/refund?
- What happens if the drone is out of stock?
- When ordering my drone, dispatch system says “On allocation”. What does this mean?
- Will I get my drone in time to build for the contest?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
Each Idea winner, whether individual or team, will be awarded one coupon for the HoverGames drone development kit ( KIT-HGDRONEK66) and one coupon for the telemetry radio, which is redeemable at NXP.com. After you order the devices, using the coupon code, a notification of your shipment status will be sent to the email address you provided at the time of your order.
Hardware Coupon Application Submission Deadline:Aug 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT
Final Project Submissions Deadline: Feb 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM PT
Contest winners will be announced on Mar 4, 2021 at 11:59 PM PT
For your submission to be eligible for judging, you must meet ALL of the following requirements unless otherwise stated:
- You must be registered as a participant for this contest.
- Your entry must be your own original work.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Hackster contest.
- Your team is no more than 5 members per entry.*
- Your entry must be related to the task of protecting people during pandemics using the NXP HoverGames Drone Development Kit (KIT-HGDRONEK66) and NavQ.
*By entering a submission to this contest on behalf of a team, you acknowledge that you are the designated representative authorized to act on behalf of your team. (See full rules below for details.)
Idea Winners: Hardware Coupon Application Requirements
One-hundred (100) Idea Winners will be awarded hardware coupon vouchers which lowers the bundled price of the NXP HoverGames Drone Development Kit and a bonus device for this challenge to $300 USD. This is a discount of more than 50 percent off the retail price* of the bundle (*price is compared to the retail price of the bundle in the US). The bundle includes:
- NXP HoverGames Drone Development Kit (KIT-HGDRONEK66)
- Telemetry radio
- 8MMNavQ Vision Companion Computer
If you have already joined the NXP HoverGames before and have a drone, pay only $50 ($150 discount) to receive the 8MMNavQ companion computer.
To be considered an Idea Winner, you must meet the following requirements. (If you do not wish to submit an Idea Winner Hardware Coupon application, continue to 'Hardware/Software Build Requirements' below.)
- Your Hardware Coupon Application must be written in English.
- Your Hardware Coupon Application must be submitted via the online application form found on the contest page’s “Apply for hardware” tab.
- Your Hardware Coupon Application must be submitted by Aug 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT.
- Hardware Coupons will be awarded based on inventive project idea related to the task of protecting people during pendemics using the NXP HoverGames Drone Development Kit (KIT-HGDRONEK66) and NavQ as judged by NXP.
Conditions for Redeeming Coupons
- Each Hardware Coupon is good until the expiration date specified at the time of issue to the Idea Winner.
- Hardware Coupons that are not redeemed by the expiration date may be re-issued to other Idea Winners.
- Each Hardware Coupon is non-transferable and may be used by the Idea Winner who was awarded the coupon.
- Hardware Coupons may be applied to only the product(s) specified at time of issue.
- Hardware Coupons are good while supplies last.
- Idea Winners who redeem Hardware Coupons are required to pay equivalent of $300 USD for the hardware (or $50 USD if you only need the NavQ). Idea Winners will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes, including but not limited to federal, state, and local taxes and other fees related to purchasing and receiving the hardware. Idea winners may be required to pay some or all customs related shipping costs.
- The NavQ will incur a shipping fee from the supplier. In addition Idea Winners will be responsible for all applicable taxes, including but not limited to federal, state, and local taxes and other fees related to purchasing and receiving the hardware. Idea winners may be required to pay some or all customs related shipping costs.
Final Project Submission Requirements
Your project must be created using the NXP HoverGames Drone Development Kit (KIT-HGDRONEK66) and the NavQ companion computer. Further hardware can be added (see previous entries from NXP HoverGames 1)
Please note judging will take into account the best use of NavQ companion computer. We encourage the use of other NXP components.
Your project must show how a small autonomous drone or system solution can solve a problem related to pandemics.
You must document your project using the Hackster online project form. You must complete:
- Basic information, including the project title and one-sentence elevator pitch
- Bill of Materials, including all hardware, software OSs, apps, online services and other handtools and fabrication machines
- Full story on how your application project works, including videos and images
- Relevant resources, including code, schematics and CAD files (if relevant)
All code must be published to a public code repository on GitHub licensed under the open-source 3-Clause BSD License using a "pull request." Further, your uploaded source code is licensed under the 3-Clause BSD license. (See “About Pull Requests” on GitHub.)
Specifically, using GitHub, participants must:
- Fork all NXP HoverGames repositories (copy repositories) to allow for experimental changes without affecting the original project. (See fork help article on GitHub.)
- Fork the PX4 Firmware repository
- Notify email@example.com of your GitHub account with a list of the forks’ URLs and your team name
- Experiment with code on your fork.
- When submitting your final project, create a pull request to the NXP HoverGames repositories
- Pull request must include team name
- Pull request must include year of participation
- Create a pull request to the PX4 Firmware repository
- Send the link to the PX4 Firmware pull request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may be asked for these notifications and URLs to be included in your hackster.io project page
Your project must be written in English.
Your project must be submitted by Feb 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM PT
Also see "Judging Criteria" for more details.
Your project is judged on a 100-point scale using the following criteria.
Judges may conduct unit tests and code review. In some cases, field tests may be performed. Completeness of documentation requirements is also expected.
General Documentation [30 POINTS]
Describe your project, how can we use technology to prevent and improve crisis management in the future?
1) Tell us your idea (What problem is your solution trying to solve?)
2) Describe your development journey
3) Remember your solution could save lives. Document how people can replicate your solution for further development and testing
Video and Photos [20 POINTS]
Photographs, videos, and screenshots are worth a thousand words. Document videos and photos during your whole development process. How well does the video capture or represent your solution? Does the video presentation give a clear picture of how the drone would solve the challenge? Tag and title your videos with #NXPHoverGames.
Code & Contributions [30 POINTS]
At judges’ discretion, any or all of the following will be checked: Code will be checked for meaningfulness, readability, performance, cleanness (“clang-tidy”), fake check, resource consumption and global usage possibilities. Judging will focus on best use of NavQ companion computer board. Are the relevant resources, including code, schematics and/or CAD files complete? Note using further NXP components brings extra points.
Collaboration [10 POINTS]
Just as we need to help each other during a pandemic, we need to help each other in this contest. Gain extra points by being active in the forums, show us how you helped other.
Specifically in your final submission give 5 links to where you collaborated or helped others. This can be answering questions, providing a short tutorial video, or providing help with code.
Inventiveness [10 POINTS]
Does your project demonstrate innovative thinking, does it bring new solutions to an existing problem, or apply existing solutions to a novel problem?
- Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars)
- $3,000 value
- Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars)
- $2,000 value
- Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars)
- $1,000 value
Special Awards and Bonus Prizes will be rewarded, too. Check out our Prizes.
- 1st Place: Electronic Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars) ($3,000 value)
- 2nd Place: Electronic Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars) ($2,000 value)
- 3rd Place: Electronic Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars) ($1,000 value)
- NXP hardware worth at least $100 (40 are available)
- Special Prizes sponsored by our partners ($1,000 value) (4 are available)
- $250 Gift card + $100 Adafruit Gift card + Video interview + More ($530 value)
Step 1: Register for the Contest
- Start by creating a free account on Hackster.io (or sign-in if already a member).
- Register for the contest by clicking “Register as a participant”.
Step 2: Build and Document Your Project
- Build your project according to the submission requirements.
- Document your project build using Hackster’s project template. To create a new project, click “create new project” on the contest page or the “+” symbol in the top right corner of your Hackster page.
Step 3: Review and submit your project
- Review your project and make sure it meets all the submission requirements.
- Upload a previously created project by clicking “add existing project” on the contest page.
- Submit your project by Feb 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM PT by clicking “review and submit project” on the contest page.
June 18, 2020 at 10:00 AM PT
Applications for hardware close:
August 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT
Hardware recipients announced:
August 31, 2020
February 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM PT
March 4, 2021
Hardware coupon winners will be announced by August 31, 2020. The list of winners will be visible on the Apply for hardware tab.
Contest winners will be announced on March 4, 2021. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are at least 18 years of age If you are considered a minor in your place of residence, then you must receive a legal guardian's permission prior to submitting an entry into this challenge. Send the completed contest permission form to email@example.com.
- You are not a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to the countries listed above, therefore residents of these countries are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this Challenge.
- You are not an immediate family member or household member of a Hackster.io employee.
- NXP employees and teams with NXP employees may participate by submitting ideas and projects, but are not eligible to win, rank, or receive prizes and/or hardware coupons distributed by Hackster. If you are an NXP employee, please follow the First Flyer rules provided to you from NXP.
Yes, customs might appear depending on where you live.
We made sure there are sufficient HoverGames drone kits available. IF the drone kits are out of stock, it takes approx 8 weeks until new drones arrive.
Exclusively for HoverGames participants we reserved a number of drones. This is to make sure each one of you receives a drone kit and has sufficient time to work on your dev-kit.
Yes. Delivery time for the HoverGames drone kit is below 1 week. The contest runs approx. 5 months. Make sure you allow at least 2 months to work on your drone (given you spend 2-3 hours per week).
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.