- 5th - 16th
The winner was awarded a $200 Cash + $100 SparkFun Promo Code + ESP-WROVER-KIT + Swag ($350 value)
The winner was awarded a $150 Cash + $50 SparkFun Promo Code + ESP-WROVER-KIT + Swag ($250 value)
The winner was awarded a $100 Cash + $50 SparkFun Promo Code + ESP-WROVER-KIT + Swag ($200 value)
The winner was awarded a $50 Cash + ESP-WROVER-KIT+ Swag ($100 value)
5th - 16th
Each winner was awarded a $25 Cash + ESP-WROVER-KIT + Swag ($75 value)
5th - 16thRoom Monitor Throwie
5th - 16thSmart Filament Runout Switch
5th - 16thIoT Mouse-Friendly Live Trap
5th - 16thSmartMali
5th - 16thStorage Bin Humidity Monitor
5th - 16thSC² - Smart Cup Coaster
5th - 16thSmart City Waste Bin Management
5th - 16thCayenne Smart Home
Our first webinar, SparkFun ESP8266 Thing Dev, myDevices Cayenne, and Espressif ESP-WROVER Kit just happened on August 8th, 2017 9 AM - 10 AM PST! Click here to view the recording.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a hot topic in today’s tech conversations. Many times, IoT development and prototyping cycles are too long and too expensive due to the time and complexity it takes to build a simple IoT prototype. But the creation of IoT projects doesn’t have to be complex or expensive, and that’s what this contest is all about.
myDevices, SparkFun, and Espressif have partnered to give you the world’s first ESP8266 IoT contest. Espressif Systems produces the ESP8266 chip; SparkFun is a worldwide leader in open-source hardware, providing components, kits, and tutorials to speed up prototyping and make electronics more accessible; and myDevices created Cayenne - world’s first drag-and-drop IoT project builder - that aims to simplify the connected world. With the help of these innovative organizations, this contest will be a rewarding experience for all participants.
Show us how you use the ESP8266 to simplify the connected world! There is no project too big or too small. Want to monitor the temperature in a room? Perfect. Thinking of creating an automated garden? Excellent. Want to use your Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and ESP8266 all in one giant home automation project? Even better! We can’t wait to see what you are able to come up with.
For your chance to win one of our awesome cash and hardware prizes, submit your projects by October 12, 2017. Judges will vote on sixteen winners, with prizes ranging in value from $75 to $350 USD!
In addition to the contest prizes, if you submit your idea by August 10th, you could be one of 75 participants to get a free SparkFun ESP8266 Thing Dev Board to build your project with, and it's yours to keep!
- July 20, 2017: Ideation Phase Begins
- August 10, 2017: Idea Submission Deadline for Free Hardware
- The top 75 ideas will get a SparkFun ESP8266 Thing Dev Board for free!
- October 12, 2017: Project Submission Deadline
- October 17th, 2017: Winners Announced
All winners will receive a ESP-WROVER-KIT from Espressif!
How to Enter
Entering this contest is easy and completely free.
Just sign up for your free Cayenne account, create your IoT project using at least one ESP8266 board/module, and submit your project to the contest!
Have questions? Need some inspirations? Head to the Cayenne community forums!
- Application of ESP8266 hardware with Cayenne software
- Compelling use of technology to solve a problem
- Real-world practicality and usability
- Does your project ‘simplify the connected world’?
***The judging criteria is meant to be open to allow for a wide range of project submissions!
- Andrew Miller, CEO Makerspaces.com
- Shamyl Mansoor, Founder LearnObots
- Casey Kuhns, competed in ABC's Battlebots with his team- Poison Arrow
- Chris Aviles, Makerpreneur and Founder TechedUpTeacher.com
We have lined up the following mentors to support all participants in creating their projects. Find them on the Cayenne community forums!
- Benny Estes - myDevices Product Manager & Community Leader
- Shawn Hymel - SparkFun Creative Engineer
- Rob Siegel - myDevices Technical Product Manager
- Adam Sage - Cayenne, Arduino, ESP8266, & Raspberry Pi Expert
- Craig Lee - Cayenne & IoT Technology Expert
To win a free SparkFun ESP8266 Thing Dev Board
- You must create a Hackster.io account and register as a participant for this contest.
- Your original idea must be submitted via the idea form.
- Ideas should be submitted in the English language.
- Your idea must include use of the SparkFun ESP8266 Thing Dev board.
- Submit your idea by Aug 10, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT
***Participant agrees to pay local tax at customs if applicable in order to receive the free SparkFun ESP8266 Thing Dev Board
To win one of the Grand Prizes:
- Project Focus: Using technology to solve problems and simplify the connected world. Examples: Home automation, room monitoring, automated lighting, home security, plant or aquarium monitoring.
- Your project must be created using at least one ESP8266 board/module. Project can use Arduino's, Raspberry Pi's, and other popular MCU's as well.
- Submission must contain screenshots of Cayenne project dashboards, triggers, scheduling, and pictures of hardware setup. Video demonstrations highly encouraged!
- Your project must be relevant to the theme of the contest.
- Your final project must be fully documented on Hackster and submitted with the project template.
- Your entry must be your own original work.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest.
- You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry.
- Your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
5th - 16th
July 20, 2017 at 8:00AM PT
Applications for hardware close
August 10, 2017 at 11:59PM PT
October 17, 2017 at 12:55PM PT
Winners announced by
Oct 20, 2017