You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You are not a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Argentina, Brazil, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia and Nigeria
- US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to the countries listed above, therefore residents of these countries are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- You are not involved in the execution, administration or sponsorship of this contest.
- You are not an immediate family member, household member, or employee of a Hackster or Intel.
- By entering, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of these Rules and the decision of the Administrator, which are final and binding in all respects
To be eligible for judging, you must meet ALL the following requirements unless otherwise stated:
- You must be registered as a Hackster community member to participate in this contest.
- You must download the OpenVINO toolkit and use it in your project to be eligible for the prizes. Find the full list of compatible hardware, supported operating systems and more, here. The project must be developed on Intel architecture.
- You must share the timestamp and email address used to download the OpenVINO toolkit when you submit the contest submission. Do not include personal information in your entry.
- Your entry must be your own original work.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Hackster contest.
- Your team is no more than 5 members per entry*
- Up to the first 100 qualified submissions will be eligible to win an Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2
- Your project submission must comply with the Intel Global Human Rights Principles
*By entering a submission to this contest on behalf of a team, you acknowledge that you are the designated representative authorized to act on behalf of your team.
Project Documentation Requirements
- Your project must include a project name, short project description, cover image, bill of materials (BOM), full instructions, images, and relevant resource files (schematics and working software code).
- Your project must be written in English.
- Your project must be submitted by Oct 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT.
You can enter as an individual or as a team of no more than five members. The following requirements must be satisfied to participate in this contest as a team:
- Your team must choose one individual (the “representative”) to speak for, act, and enter a project submission on behalf of your team and will be responsible for distributing the prizes to team members if their submission wins.
- Each individual team member must meet ALL the eligibility and contest requirements outlined in the full rules.
Judging criteriaGrand Prizes
Your project will be judged according to the rubric below and by a panel of industry experts with deep domain expertise in computer vision, deep learning and edge AI use cases and extensive experience in deploying solutions across various industry verticals.
Project Overview (30 points)
- Describe the problem solved by your project
- Benefits & features
- What is the social impact? (e.g. monetary saving, health and safety improvements, reduced carbon footprint etc.)
Project Documentation (40 points)
- Story/Instructions - Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or a video demonstration of your solution working as intended.
- For hardware and software projects, you can include circuit diagrams using software like Fritzing.org and/or take detailed photographs.
- For software projects, you can include working code with helpful comments
- How did you use the OpenVINO Toolkit? Please tell us more about improvements or optimizations achieved on your model or application. Highlight increase in performance, latency or accuracy that you were able to achieve for your use case through retraining, quantization or other fine-tuning techniques.
- Tell us about the models used - Intel pre-trained models, public models or own trained models.
Complete BOM (10 points)
- Detail the hardware, software, tools and models used
Creativity (20 points)
- What makes your project unique and differentiated? Your idea doesn’t have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand-new idea)
- All eligible submissions will be considered for the Developer Choice Awards. Projects with the most “Likes” on their Hackster contest entry will be awarded. Participants are encouraged to share their project on social media and other platforms to get as many Likes as possible for their project.
- All eligible submissions will be considered for the Early Submission Prizes. Early Submission Prizes will be awarded up to the first 100 qualified submissions and will receive an Intel Neural Compute Stick 2. Participants are encouraged to submit their qualifying entry as soon as possible to be eligible.
How to enter
Step 1: Register for the Contest
- Start by creating a free account on Hackster.io (or sign-in if already a member).
- Register for the contest by clicking “Register as a participant”.
Step 2: Build and Document Your Project
- Complete the OpenVINO toolkit download and use the toolkit in your project to be eligible for the prizes. Find the full list of compatible hardware, supported operating systems and more, here. The project must be developed on Intel architecture.
- Build your project according to the submission requirements. Document your project build using Hackster’s project template. To create a new project, click “create new project” on the contest page or the “+” symbol in the top right corner of your Hackster page.
Step 3: Review and submit your project
- Review your project and make sure it meets all the submission requirements.
- Upload a previously created project by clicking “add existing project” on the contest page.
- Submit your project by Oct 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT by clicking “review and submit project” on the contest page.
- Up to the first 100 qualified submissions will be eligible to win an Intel Neural Compute Stick 2.
Common terms used in these rules
These are the Official Rules (“Rules”) for the Deep Learning Superhero Challenge (“Contest”) that govern how the contest will operate. In these Rules, “you” and “your” refer to an eligible entrant, and “we,” “us,” and “our” refers to Hackster (“Administrator”) and Intel Corporation (“Sponsor”). You must agree to these Rules to participate in the contest. Please read them carefully to fully understand the Rules prior to registering for the contest.
This is a skill-based contest brought to you by Hackster.io and sponsored by Intel. The object of this contest is to create a project using the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit and Intel® architecture. For the purposes of this contest, each project you submit in the contest will be called a “submission.” All eligible submissions received will be judged using the judging criteria below to determine the final prize winners.
What are the start and end dates?
Contest starts at Jul 23, 2020 at 9:00 AM PT and ends at Oct 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM PTand will consist of the following periods:
- Contest projects submission period: Jul 23, 2020 at 9:00 AM PT through Oct 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT
- Early bird prizes for up to the first 100 qualified submissions: Jul 23, 2020 at 9:00 AM PT through September 21st, 2020.
- Contest winners will be announced on Nov 4, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT.
Note: Contest end dates are at the sole discretion of the Administrator and may be subject to change.
Five Grand Prizes (5) of cash ($1000 USD), up to one hundred (100) Early Submission Prizes of Intel Neural Compute Sticks 2 ($75 USD value) and three (3) Developer Choice Awards ($500 USD) will be awarded. Total approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each Early Submission Prize is $75. Total approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each Grand Prize is $1000. Total approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each Developer Choice Award is $500. Total ARV of all Prizes is $14,000 USD.
- Grand Prizes will be awarded to the best projects (Quantity 5) selected by the judging panel. Cash prize, total retail value (“ARV”) of each award is USD $1000 (Quantity 5).
Developers Choice Awards
- Developer Choice Awards will be awarded to the projects with the most Hackster Likes on their contest submission at the time of contest close. Cash prize, total retail value (“ARV”) of each award is USD $500 (Quantity 3).
Early Submission Prizes
- Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2. Awarded up to the first 100 qualified submissions. Total approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each prize is USD $75. (Quantity 100).
Prize Notification and Awarding
Limit one (1) prize per person or team, not including Early Submission winners. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of prizes described in the contest brief.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up. If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and/or a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you complete a tax form, you will be issued an IRS Form 1099 the following January for the actual value of the prize. You are advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of accepting a prize. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this contest, the following rules apply:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up.
- You will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state, and local taxes related to accepting the prize, if you choose to accept the prize.
- If a prize is awarded to a project submitted by a team, the designated representative will be the sole recipient of said prize, unless otherwise agreed upon in writing by the representative and his/her team.
- If you win a prize that violates import regulations for your county, you must complete this form within 10 days of receiving confirmation of your winning entry to 1) receive a virtual Visa gift card with the equivalent value of the prize OR 2) provide an alternative shipping address to send the prize.
Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and/or Rules and conditions.
General Rules of Participation
By participating in the Contest and to the fullest extent permissible by law, Entrants and Prize Winners release the Administrator and Sponsor from any and all liability, damages or causes of action (but named or described) with respect to or arising out of participation in the Contest, and/or the receipt or use/misuse of the prizes awarded, including, without limitation, liability for personal injury, death or property damage. By participating in the Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by these Rules and the decisions of the Administrator, which are final in all respects and not subject to appeal. Administrator reserves the right permanently to disqualify any Entrant it reasonably believes has violated these Rules. Winning a prize constitutes permission for Administrator to use prize winners' names, project content, and/or videos for purposes of advertising and publicity, in connection with the Contest, without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. Administrator may prohibit an Entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, Administrator determines that the Entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other Entrants or the Administrator. If for any reason the Contest cannot be conducted as planned, including, but not limited to, by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of Administrator which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, the Administrator reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and randomly draw winners from those entries received up to the cancellation/suspension date. This contest will be governed by the laws of the State of California, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of California for any disputes arising out of this contest.
Participation: If your participation violates ANY of the following, you may be disqualified.
- Your entry must be your own original work.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Hackster contest.
- You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry.
- Your entry may not include any third-party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people, code, schematics etc...) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
- Your entry must comply with your employer’s gift policies.
Project entries may NOT contain ANY of the following content:
- Content that is sexually explicit.
- Content that is unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group.
- Content that is profane or pornographic.
- Content that promotes illegal drugs, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda.
- Content that is obscene or offensive.
- Content that defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies.
- Content that communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate.
- Content that violates any law.
We reserve the right to reject an entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine contains any of the above content.
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you agree to ALL the following statements:
- You grant us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of this contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed).
- You agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above.
- You understand that after the submission deadline has passed, any project that has been submitted to the contest cannot be deleted or made private and will remain on the contest page after the contest has concluded.
- You understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry.
- You understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these full rules.
Please note that following the end of this contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry. If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this contest.
Cheating, Hacking & Deceptive Submissions
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, bot, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and/or integrity of this contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the contest. If you attempt, or we have strong reason to believe that you have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this contest by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may disqualify you, and ban you from participating in any of our future contests.
By participating and to the fullest extent permissible by law, Entrants agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless the Administrator and Sponsor and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claims made by winners, Entrants, or any other third parties, related in any way to the operation of the Contest as well as any other claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity or participation in the Contest. All prizes offered “as is” and with no additional warranties.
Your entire project submission must only include material (including hardware, source code – both open source and third party sourced, user interface, music, video or images) that you own or that you have permission from the copyright/trademark owner to use. Your and/or your team’s entry may not include copyrighted materials (such as source code, user interface, background music, images or video) unless you own or have permission to use the materials. Ownership is not defined as purchasing a CD at a music store for replay, if playing a copyrighted recording on your guitar or repurposing an application’s user interface – your entry may be disqualified if copyrighted materials, including but not limited to these examples, are a part of your entry without appropriate licensing or permissions. If you do use permissible copyrighted materials, you must include the permissions information by citing the artist/creator and license information. Note that even material released under sites such as Creative Commons, common open source code licenses, and other similar licensing may need permission or acknowledgment as per the specific license.
By entering the Contest, for the purposes of administering this Contest, you:
(a) consent to the Administrator and Sponsor handling your entry and your personal information; and
(b) you grant the Administrator and Sponsor all similar rights and authorizations that you have granted to the Administrator in these Terms.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this contest, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.