If you want to workout without a screen this quarantine, check out this Rhasspy voice assistant controlled workout timer. It recites each exercise you entered followed by how long to do it, accompanied by a visual MATRIX device LED display.
We've created a customizable routine to allow you to decide which exercises you want to do and change how long by modifying one file (once you complete the guide).Required Hardware
- Raspberry Pi 3B/B+ or 4 - Only tested on 3B but this should work on any.
- MATRIX Voice or MATRIX Creator - Raspberry Pi does not have a built-in microphone, the MATRIX Voice & MATRIX Creator each have an 8 mic array - Buy MATRIX Voice or Buy MATRIX Creator.
- Power adapter for Raspberry Pi.
- Micro SD Card (Minimum 8 GB) - An operating system is required to get started. You can download Raspbian and use the guides for Mac OS, Linux and Windows on the Raspberry Pi website.
- (Optional) A USB Keyboard & Mouse, and an external HDMI Monitor - we also recommend having a USB keyboard and mouse as well as an HDMI monitor handy. You can also use the Raspberry Pi remotely, see this guide from Google.
- Speakers that can connect to (and preferably be charged by) the Raspberry PI
- A MATRIX Kit
If you haven't already, be sure to set up your Raspberry Pi with your MATRIX Device.1. Install MATRIX Libraries and Rhasspy
Follow the steps below in order for Rhasspy to work on your Raspberry Pi.2. Creating an Intent
Open Rhasspy's web interface by opening your browser to
http://YOUR_PI_IP_HERE:12101 and then click on the Sentences tab. All intents and sentences are defined here.
By default, there are a few example sentences in the text box. Remove the default intents and add the following:
start [my] workout
Once created, click on Save Sentences and wait for Rhasspy to finish training.
Workout is an intent. You can change the wording to anything that works for you as long as you keep
[Workout] unchanged, as this intent name will be used in the code.
Install git on your Raspberry Pi.
sudo apt install git
Download the repository.
git clone https://github.com/matrix-io/rhasspy-workout-timer
Navigate to the folder and install the project dependencies.
Run the program
4. Using and Customizing the Project
To change the workout to your desired routine, head into the project folder and open
workout.txt. There, you'll see:
jumping jacks 12,plank 15, test 14
To make your own workout routine, type the workout name followed by the number of seconds you want to do it for and repeat that for each workout you want, separating each combo using a comma.
Whenever you want to use the Rhasspy Assistant, run the file and say "Start my workout" or whatever it is you have it set to.Wrapping Up
There you have it, your own routine of which you're the boss! Happy Quarantine Exercising!