Software apps and online services
Hand tools and fabrication machines
In today's world, energy conservation is one of the major concerns of world leaders. Everyone knows the resources available to us will never stay forever. Whether it be fossil fuels, freshwater, ways to generate electricity and so. One of the major problems faced by most of the countries is the issue of wastage of water during transportation from city water storage systems to home, and overflow of water from our house water tank during pumping. This has resulted in a need to conserve water, since water scarcity will be one of the major issues shortly.
Technology has nowadays become an integrated part of our everyday chores. This Bolt IoT based water monitoring system always keep the water in the tank from getting empty at the same time avoid any unnecessary overflow of water, which will be very useful in conserving our precious freshwater
The main use of this system lies in the fact, the system always ensures water in the tank and you don't have to manually turn on and off the tank every now and then. The main component of this system is the high sensitivity water level sensor named REES52. It is this sensor that automatically monitors the water level readings.MATERIALS USED:
The sensor has a series of ten exposed copper traces, five of which are power traces, and rest are sense traces. These traces are placed alternatively. The traces are not usually connected but are bridged by water when submerged. The power led onboard tells when the sensor board is powered. The working of the sensor is pretty simple. The series of parallel conductors together acts as a variable resistor whose resistance varies according to the water level. The resistance is inversely proportional to the height of water.
- The more water sensor is immersed in, results in better conductivity and will result in a lower resistance
- The less water the sensor is immersed in, results in poor conductivity and will result in a higher resistance
There are 3 pins for the sensor
"S": Signal pin which is an analog output that will be connected to the analog input on bolt IOT wifi module.
Analog values: 0-420 =>dry, >420 =>submerged
"VCC": This pin supplies power to the sensor. The recommended power is between 3.3V - 5V.
"GND": For the ground connection.Single-channel relay 5V:
The relay is used to turn on and off the pump automatically as the required water level is reached. The relay is what makes the system to automatic. A single channel relay consists of 3 input pins and 3 output terminals. The 3 input pins are:
- "IN": The signal pin to turn off or on the relay. This will be connected to GPIO pins(0, 1, 2, 3, 4) of the Bolt IoT wifi module. In this system when the water tank is full and a signal will be sent to the relay to turn it on, this action will turn off the water pump. When the tank is empty, a signal will be sent to the relay to turn it off, this action will turn on the water pump.
- "GND": For ground connections
- "VCC": For supply power to the relay. Recommended power is 5V
The 3 outputs terminals are:
- "COM": Common terminal, which will be linked to the "NC" terminal when the relay is off. This +ve wire from the battery is connected to the "COM" terminal.
- "NC": Normally closed terminal, which will be linked to the "COM" terminal when the relay is off. The phase wire from the water pump is connected to the "NC" terminal. When COM is linked to NC terminal the water pump is on.
- "NO": Normally opened terminal, which will be linked to the "COM" terminal only when the relay is turned on by applying a HIGH signal from GPIO pins. When COM is linked to NO terminal the water pump is turned off.
Micro Submersible water pump:
For pumping water from the groundwater reservoir to the water tank( in this case a water reservoir)
Bolt IoT wifi module:
It is the brain for this whole system. The ESP8266 chip receives the analog input signal from the REES52 water level sensor via "A0" pins, then computes and processes the data through the bolt cloud, and sends a digital signal to the "IN" pin of the relay via GPIO pins (0, 1, 2, 3, 4).
These are used to connect the sensor, relay, and Bolt IoT wifi module for the transmitting and receiving various signals for the working of the system.
The USB cable is connected to the Micro-USB port and GND pins. It provides the required power for the working for the REES52 sensor, relay, and the Bolt IoT wifi module.
The water pump is powered by using two AA batteries.DEMONSTRATION:
- Do the connections as shown in the schematics given below.
- Place the water pump in the reservoir. The delivery pipe of the pump is placed into the water tank.
- The REES52 water sensor is mounted on the top inner side of the water tank.
- Create a product on bolt cloud:- https://cloud.boltiot.com/
- Choose the product as Input devices and collect data through GPIO
- Go to the Products > click on the product that you have created > then click on configure options
- In the hardware tab set 'data collection rate' as 5 minutes.
- Name the A0 Analog pin has 'level' (any variable name).
- Goto the code tab, give a name then put extension as 'js'.
- Download VMWare software from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0
- Download Ubuntu Server ISO from http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04.6-server-i386.iso
- Install both this software.
- Now in your Ubuntu Server type in your python code.(Refer the code below) Be careful that API key, device ID, telegram Bot ID, telegram chat ID are correct.
- Now run the python code after power the Bolt IOT wifi module.