Open to individuals who are the older of eighteen (18) years of age or the legal age of majority in their place of residence at the time of entry and are also legal residents of any country outside of Brazil, Quebec, or any country, state, province or territory where the laws of the United States or local law prohibits participating or receiving a prize in the Challenge (including, but not limited to Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria and any other country designated by the United States Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx), and (2) at or above the age of majority in their country, state, and jurisdiction of residence at the time of Submission (each, a “Participant”). Challenge is void outside of the jurisdictions outlined above and where prohibited by law. Participants may not be members of any guild, union or other organization that may prohibit them from participating in this Challenge and that would restrict, require due payment or otherwise have the right to oppose such participant’s participation in this Challenge . Directors, officers, employees, interns, and contractors (“Personnel”) of Sponsor, Hackster, Inc. (“Hackster”), and each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective advertising, promotion and public relations agencies, representatives, and agents (collectively, “Challenge Entities”), immediate families members of such Personnel (parents, siblings, children, spouses, and life partners of each) and members of the households of such Personnel (whether related or not) are ineligible to participate in this Challenge
To submit an entry, a Participant must meet the following content and technical requirements:
- Participants must create a free Hackster.io account and register as a participant for this contest.
- Participants must create an Amazon developer account to build a working submission.
All valid entries must meet each of the following requirements:
- Each entry must be the contestants’ own original work.
- Entries cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest.
- Contestants must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry.
- Entries may not include any third-party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
- Each project must be fully documented on Hackster in accordance with the “project” template.
- Each final project must be submitted within the projects template.
- Each final project must include of the following materials: Images, instructions, BOM, schematics, code, CAD of any 3D models or 2D drawings (if any).
To win one of the five prizes identified in the Full Rules, your project must meet all of the following requirements:
- You must meet the Participant content and technical requirements.
- Your project must meet the requirements to be a valid entry.
- Your project must be created using Amazon Alexa
- Your project must be relevant to the theme of the contest.
- Your final project must be fully documented on Hackster with the project template.
- Your final project must be submitted using the project template.
- Your final project documentation must include the following:
f) CAD (if relevant to the project)
Winners will be selected based on the following criteria for Categories below:
For All Categories (Best Indoor Skill, Best Outdoor Skill, Best Wild Card Skill and Best Alexa Voice Service Integration Categories)
- Creativity (10 points)
- Usefulness (10 points)
- Use of voice user interface (VUI) best practices (20 points)
- Demo Video (10 points)
- Story/Instruction – Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video (10 Points)
- Project documentation including VUI diagram (10 Points)
- Code – Include working code with helpful comments (10 Points)
The following additional criteria apply for skills categories only (Best Indoor Skill, Best Outdoor Skill, Best Wildcard Skill):
- Published Alexa skill (20 Points) (Skill must be published between the contest start and end dates.)
- Bonus – Make compatible for EchoPlus with Zigbee (10 points)
How to enter
To submit your project to the Contest and to be eligible to win a prize (no purchase necessary, no prior entries required):
- Build and submit your project by Feb 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT
- Build your project using Amazon Alexa
- Add a new project by clicking the "+" symbol at the top right side of the screen and follow the submission template.
- Share detailed instructions with images in the story section.
- Share the bill of materials.
- Share the electronics schematics.
- Share the source code (optionally via Github or Bitbucket).
- Share the CAD files (if relevant).
To the extent there is any conflict between these Contest Rules and the Full Rules, the Full Rules will control.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Please read these rules before entering the Alexa and Arduino Smart Home Challenge (the “Challenge”). By submitting an entry, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Amazon Digital Services LLC (“Sponsor”) and the judges, and that you and your entry into the Challenge satisfy all eligibility requirements.
Open to individuals who are the older of eighteen (18) years of age or the legal age of majority in their place of residence at the time of entry and are also legal residents of any country outside of Brazil, Quebec, or any country, state, province or territory where the laws of the United States or local law prohibits participating or receiving a prize in the Challenge (including, but not limited to Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria and any other country designated by the United States Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx), and (2) at or above the age of majority in their country, state, and jurisdiction of residence at the time of Submission (each, a “Participant”). Challenge is void outside of the jurisdictions outlined above and where prohibited by law. Participants may not be members of any guild, union or other organization that may prohibit them from participating in this Challenge and that would restrict, require due payment or otherwise have the right to oppose such participant’s participation in this Challenge . Directors, officers, employees, interns, and contractors (“Personnel”) of Sponsor, Hackster, Inc. (“Hackster”), and each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective advertising, promotion and public relations agencies, representatives, and agents (collectively, “Challenge Entities”), immediate families members of such Personnel (parents, siblings, children, spouses, and life partners of each) and members of the households of such Personnel (whether related or not) are ineligible to participate in this Challenge .
Participants may participate in the Challenge by themselves or participate as a “Team” consisting of up to three (3) Participants. Each Participant is only permitted to be part of one Team. If a Participant elects to participate on their own they cannot also participate with a Team. Any Participant that is part of more than one (1) Team may be disqualified and his/her corresponding Teams may be disqualified as well at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Only one (1) member of the Team may post a submission on behalf of a Team but all those listed on the registration will be deemed Participants. All prizes and/or prize money will be split evenly among the members of a winning Team, as identified on the online registration. Additionally, all winning Team members will split any and all tax obligations and withholdings that may be applicable dependent on the value of the prize money awarded to each Team member. Each winning Team member will be solely responsible for tax obligations and withholdings solely related to the portion of the prize they receive. Each Participant must be eligible to participate in this Challenge and comply with these Official Rules or the Participant will and the Team associated with any Participant in question may be disqualified. This Challenge is subject to all applicable federal, state, territorial, provincial and local laws. By participating in the Challenge, all Participants unconditionally accept and agree to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor which will be final and binding including the Sponsor’s right to verify eligibility, to interpret these Official Rules, and to resolve any disputes relating to this Challenge at any time. Only Participants or Team members may work on their submission, without the influence of any other individuals.
HOW TO ENTER.
Challenge begins at 8:00:01 a.m. (PT) on November 21, 2017 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. (PT) on February 24, 2018 (the “Submission Period”). To participate, during the Submission Period you must:
1. Go to https://www.hackster.io/ and create a free Hackster.io account.
2. Go to https://developer.amazon.com/ and create a free Amazon Developer account.
3. Register for the Challenge by clicking "Register as a participant" on https://www.hackster.io/Challenges/alexasmarthome.
4. Add a new project by clicking the "+" symbol at the top right side of the screen and follow the submission template.
Each project must be fully documented on Hackster per the “project” template and must be submitted as within the projects template.
All Submissions must be received by 11:59:59 p.m. (PT) on February 24, 2018. Limit one (1) Submission per Participant/Team throughout the Submission Period. In the event any Participant or Team submits more than one (1) Submission, the last Submission received by Sponsor will be deemed that Participant’s/Team’s Submission. Participants assume all risk of lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, or unintelligible Submissions.
Sponsor’s (or its contractor’s) servers and clock shall be deemed the official clock for all phases of the Challenge , and participant’s proof of a submission does not constitute proof of receipt by Sponsor. Sponsor is not responsible for (i) lost, misdirected, late, incomplete, or unintelligible Submissions or for inaccurate Submission information, whether caused by participant or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Challenge, or by any technical or human error that may occur in the processing of Submissions; or (ii) any printing, production, human or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Challenge.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion to disqualify at any time any Submission containing obscene, offensive, pornographic or sexually explicit material, or libelous, disparaging, infringing or other inappropriate content or subject matter (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion).
CONDITIONS OF SUBMISSION.
Each Participant/Team must follow and meet the following requirements when posting a Submission:
· Submissions are the original work of the Participant/Team or an update to an original work of the Participant/Team;
· Skills included as part of a Submission must be eligible for publication on the Alexa skills store, including compliance with our content guidelines available at https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/alexa-skills-kit-policy-testing;
· Submissions do not infringe or violate the rights of any third party, including but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks or copyrighted material not owned by the Participant/Team, contract and licensing rights, rights of publicity or privacy, moral rights, or any other intellectual property rights; and
· Submissions are not subject to any third party agreements, and that Sponsor will not be required to pay or incur any sums to any person or entity as a result of its ownership, acquisition, use or exploitation of the Submissions or rights therein.
· All Submissions must comply with the terms applicable to “Alexa Skills” in Sponsor’s App Distribution and Services Agreement, as updated from time to time (the “ADSA”), and all Program Policies (as such term is defined in the ADSA), including content guidelines that prohibit derogatory or sexually explicit content, that promote an illegal activity or skills directed to children under the age of 13. Submissions that cause any harm, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, will be disqualified from the Challenge. Submissions may not request any personal or personally identifiable information from Alexa customers. Questionable designs or content must be cleared with Sponsor prior to the Challenge. All Submissions must interact with users using only the English language. Any Participants/Teams using Amazon Web Services (“AWS”) Lambda or other AWS services must agree to the terms of the AWS Customer Agreement, as revised from time to time, although Participants/Teams may use other frameworks or web services in order to build their Submission.
· Sponsor and Hackster are collecting personal information primarily to process the Submissions and to contact you if necessary, but also to potentially contact you for marketing purposes. If you do not wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, you will be provided with a method to opt-out from future communications. You may update or change your “E-mail Preferences & Notifications” in your Amazon account. Sponsor will share your information with third parties that have a need to know, such as the judging panel, and by entering, you agree to the sharing of your information with the judging panel and third parties Sponsor retains to assist in administering the Challenge. If you do not agree to these terms or to Sponsor’s privacy notice located at www.amazon.com/privacy, please do not post a Submission.
On or about March 1, 2018, each Submission will be rated by a panel of qualified judges selected by Sponsor using the following criteria for each of the following categories:
For the Best Indoor Skill, Best Outdoor Skill, Best Wildcard Skill Categories: (a) creativity (10 points); (b) usefulness (10 points); (c) use of Voice User Interface (VUI) best practices (20 points); (d) demo video (10 points); (e) story/instruction – show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video (10 points); (f) project documentation including VUI diagram (10 Points); (g) code – include working code with helpful comments (10 points); (h) published Alexa skill (20 points). Bonus: Uses ZigBee to connect to the built in smart home hub in Echo Plus (10 points).
For the Best Alexa Voice Service Integration Category: (a) creativity (10 points); (b) usefulness (10 points); (c) use of Voice User Interface (VUI) best practices (20 points); (d) demo video (10 points); (e) story/instruction – show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video (10 points); (f) project documentation including VUI diagram (10 Points); (g) code – include working code with helpful comments (10 points).
Sponsor may determine in its sole discretion the Category for which each Submission will be judged.
The one (1) Submission with the highest score across all Categories will be deemed the potential Best Overall Alexa Skill + Gadget Winner, subject to verification and compliance with these Official Rules. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken by a separate additional judge who will score the tied Submissions solely on creativity.
In the event a potential winner’s Submission is disqualified, the Participant/Team who submitted the next highest rated Submission will be selected as a potential winner, and must comply with the requirements in these Official Rules. All decisions of the Sponsor and judges are final and binding.
There will be five (5) prizes awarded, one (1) per each award:
1. BEST OVERALL ALEXA SKILL + GADGET: $14,000 Cash + Kickstarter Package
One (1) Kickstarter Package includes:
1. Dragon Innovation Certification: Dragon innovation certification will help ensure a product can be manufactured, deliver details on how much it will cost to build, and how long it will take to deliver. ($5,000)
2. Video Production: Video agency to assist with promotional video of product. ($5,000)
3. Kickstarter Coaching Session: Kickstarter is offering a 60 minute 1:1 call with their top crowd funding expert.
4. Marketing Fund: Marketing fund to use to market the product ($5,000)
The Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of the Best Overall Alexa Skill + Gadget prize: $29,000.00 USD.
2. BEST INDOOR ALEXA SKILL + GADGET: $8,000 cash + Kickstarter Coaching Session
The ARV of the Best Indoor Alexa Skill + Gadget prize: $8,000
3. BEST OUTDOOR ALEXA SKILL + GADGET: $8,000 cash + Kickstarter Coaching Session
4. The ARV of the Best Outdoor Alexa Skill + Gadget prize: $8,000
5. BEST WILDCARD SMART HOME SKILL + GADGET: $6,000 cash + Kickstarter Coaching Session
The ARV of the Best Wildcard Skill + Gadget prize: $6,000
6. BEST ALEXA VOICE SERVICE INTEGRATION: $8,000 cash + Kickstarter Coaching Session
The ARV of the Alexa Voice Service Integration + Gadget prize: $8,000
The maximum total ARV for all prizes combined is $59,000.00 USD. Winners will be responsible for paying all costs and expenses related to the prize that are not specifically mentioned, including, but not limited to, taxes, and any other expenses that might reasonably be incurred by the winner in receiving or using the prize. Each winner may be required to submit to Hackster his/her social security number or tax payer ID number and W-8BEN, or other such tax filing information required by Sponsor in order to claim the prize. All prizes awarded will be inclusive of any taxes Sponsor is required by law to withhold as well as applicable sales, use, gross receipts, goods and service, or similar transaction based taxes. All other taxes, costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of any prize not specified in these Official Rules as being provided are the sole responsibility of the winner. IF TAXES ARE APPLICABLE TO THE PRIZES, IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER TO PAY TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES. PAYMENTS TO CHALLENGE WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THE WINNER SUBMIT TO SPONSOR ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY SPONSOR TO PERMIT COMPLIANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE STATE, FEDERAL, LOCAL AND FOREIGN (INCLUDING PROVINCIAL) TAX REPORTING AND WITHHOLDING REQUIREMENTS. Challenge winners are responsible for ensuring that the tax documentation submitted to Sponsor complies with all applicable tax laws and requirements. If a winner fails to provide the documentation or submits incomplete documentation, the prize may be forfeited and Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, select an alternate winner.
Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portion thereof) for an item of comparable or greater value, in its sole discretion. All prizes will be awarded “AS IS” and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose). Limit one prize per person.
For the avoidance of doubt as between Sponsor and Participants/Teams, all Submissions created by Participants/Teams will remain the property of the Participant/Team except to the extent a Participant/Team incorporated elements in their Submission owned by Sponsor, but Sponsor and its designees will have the rights to use the Submissions described below. By submitting a Submission in this Challenge, each Participant/Team warrants and represents that he or she owns, or otherwise has the right to use, all of the intellectual and industrial property rights in and to the Submission. Further, each Participant/Team hereby grants Sponsor and its affiliates a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your Submission in connection with this Challenge, and (ii) feature your Submission and all content contained therein in connection with the marketing or promotion of this Challenge.
Except where prohibited, each prize winner further consents (and agrees to sign any additional documents required by Sponsor to formalize, effect or perfect such consent) to Challenge Entities’ use of Submissions as specified herein and the use of any Participant/Team names, likeness (photograph), biographical information, and voice in advertising/publicity/trade (including local and/or national television stations or print publications that may be covering any element of this Challenge) worldwide without compensation, notice or approval, and prize winner disclaims any ownership rights to the content of such advertising/publicity/trade material.
USE OF SUBMISSION, PERSONAL DATA, WAIVER, RELEASE, AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.
Challenge Entities and their Personnel will not enter into any correspondence, including email, with non-winning Participants/Teams relating to such Participants’ participation in the Challenge. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual found tampering with the Submission process or Submission materials or otherwise interfering with the proper administration of the Challenge or violating these Official Rules.
EACH PARTICIPANT ACCEPTS THE CONDITIONS STATED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, AGREES TO BE BOUND BY THE DECISIONS OF THE SPONSOR, WARRANTS THAT HE OR SHE IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CHALLENGE, AND AGREES TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS CHALLENGE ENTITIES AND THE PERSONNEL OF EACH FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LOSSES, LIABILITY, AND DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND EXPENSES) ASSERTED AGAINST ANY OF THEM, INCURRED OR SUSTAINED IN CONNECTION WITH OR RISING OUT OF PARTICIPANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THIS CHALLENGE, USE OF ANY SUBMISSION OR RIGHTS THEREIN OR ANY TRAVEL OR ACTIVITY RELATED THERETO, BREACH OF ANY AGREEMENT OR WARRANTY ASSOCIATED WITH THE CHALLENGE, INCLUDING THESE OFFICIAL RULES. ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CHALLENGE IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND, SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE CHALLENGE ENTITIES AND EACH OF THEIR LICENSEES RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK ANY AND ALL REMEDIES AVAILABLE FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SUCH ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Each Participant/Team hereby acknowledges and agrees that the relationship between themselves and the Challenge Entities is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that the Participant’s/Team’s decision to provide the Submission to Sponsor for purposes of the Challenge does not place the Challenge Entities in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the Submission, other than as set forth in these Official Rules. Each Participant/Team understands and acknowledges that the Challenge Entities have wide access to Submissions, technology, designs, and other materials, and that new ideas are constantly being submitted to them or being developed by their own employees. Each Participant also acknowledges that many ideas may be competitive with, similar to, or identical to the Submission in theme, idea, format, or other respects. Each Participant/Team acknowledges and agrees that such Participant/Team will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of Challenge Entities' use of any such similar or identical material that has or may come to Challenge Entities, or any of them, from other sources. Participants acknowledge that other Participants/Teams may have created ideas and concepts contained in their Submission design that may have familiarities or similarities to their Submission design, and that they will not be entitled to any compensation or right to negotiate with the Challenge Entities because of these familiarities or similarities. Participants also acknowledge that the Challenge Entities will not restrict work assignments or representatives who have had access to your Submissions. By entering this Challenge, Participants agree that use of information in the Challenge Entities’ representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of Challenge Entities’ products or services does not create liability for Challenge Entities under these Official Rules or copyright or trade secret law.
Participants/Teams further agree that the Challenge Entities are not responsible for the following: (a) electronic transmissions, Submissions or notifications that are lost, late, stolen, incomplete, damaged, garbled, destroyed, misdirected or not received by Sponsor or their agents for any reason; (b) any problems or technical malfunctions, errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, delays in operation or transmission, communication failures and/or human error that may occur in the transmission, shipping errors or delays, receipt or processing of Submissions or related materials; or for destruction of or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Submissions or related material; (c) failed or unavailable hardware, network, software or telephone transmissions, damage to Participants’ or any person’s computer and/or its contents related to or resulting from participation in this Challenge; (d) causes that jeopardize the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Challenge; (e) any Submissions posted in a manner that is not expressly allowed under these Official Rules (all such Submissions will be disqualified); or (f) any printing errors in these Official Rules or in any advertisements or correspondence in connection with this Challenge or judging. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend this Challenge should virus, bugs, fraud, hacking, or other causes corrupt the administration, security, or proper play of the Challenge. In such cases, notice to this effect will be posted on the Challenge Site and prizes to the extent awarded will be awarded as determined by Sponsor prior to cancellation. If, in Sponsor’s opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Challenge or if technical difficulties compromise the integrity of the Challenge, the Sponsor reserves the right to void suspect Submissions and/or terminate the Challenge and award prizes in its sole discretion.
The potential winners will be required to sign and return an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility; Liability and Publicity Release or other such form as requested by Sponsor. Prior to awarding a prize, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, require the potential winners to sign such additional documents Sponsor decides are necessary to confirm eligibility, to obtain a liability/publicity release, and to award any prize. Failure to return any required document by the date requested by Sponsor will deem the winner as ineligible to receive the applicable prize. If any documentation is not returned by the specified dates and times or if a potential winner is deemed ineligible prior to the prize being awarded, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award the prize to the next Participant/Team receiving the next highest score.
The Challenge and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2017 by Amazon Digital Services, LLC. All rights reserved. By entering, participants agree to be bound by these rules. No transfer, assignment, cash redemption or substitution of prizes is permitted except by Sponsor due to prize availability and then with prizes of equal or greater value. Participants/Teams agree (for themselves and their heirs) that the Released Parties will have no liability, and will be held harmless by such participants to the maximum extent permitted by law for any liability, loss, injury, or damage to property or to person, including death, and reasonable attorney’s fees and court costs, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of participation in the Challenge, or by reason of the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prizes, even if caused or contributed to by the negligence of any of the Released Parties. To the extent permitted by law, this Challenge is governed by the laws of the United States and the State of Washington, USA. As a condition of participating in this Challenge, participants agree that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Challenge, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in King County, Washington, USA having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participants be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waive all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, including attorneys' fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. costs associated with entering), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. Participants agree that the decisions of Sponsor and the judges related to the Challenge are final. By participating in the Challenge, participants consent to the use of their names, biographical information, Submissions, images and/or likenesses in any manner and in any medium for any purpose in connection with the Challenge, including worldwide, without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.
WINNERS’ LIST. After the winners are confirmed, the winners’ names will be posted at https://www.hackster.io/Challenges/alexasmarthome until May 2, 2018.
SPONSOR. Amazon Digital Services, LLC. 410 Terry Avenue North, Seattle, Washington, 98109.