- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
To submit an entry, a Participant must meet the following content and technical requirements:
- Participants must create a free Hackster.io account and register as a participant for this contest.
- Participants must create an Amazon developer account to build a working submission.
All valid entries must meet each of the following requirements:
- Each entry must be the contestants’ own original work.
- Entries cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest.
- Contestants must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry.
- Entries may not include any third-party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
- Each project must be fully documented on Hackster in accordance with the “project” template.
- Each final project must be submitted within the projects template.
- Each final project must include of the following materials: Images, instructions, BOM, schematics, code, CAD of any 3D models or 2D drawings (if any).
To win one of the five prizes identified in the Full Rules, your project must meet all of the following requirements:
- You must meet the Participant content and technical requirements.
- Your project must meet the requirements to be a valid entry.
- Your project must be created using Amazon Alexa
- Your project must be relevant to the theme of the contest.
- Your final project must be fully documented on Hackster with the project template.
- Your final project must be submitted using the project template.
- Your final project documentation must include the following:
f) CAD (if relevant to the project)
Winners will be selected based on the following criteria for Categories below:
For All Categories (Best Indoor Skill, Best Outdoor Skill, Best Wild Card Skill and Best Alexa Voice Service Integration Categories)
- Creativity (10 points)
- Usefulness (10 points)
- Use of voice user interface (VUI) best practices (20 points)
- Demo Video (10 points)
- Story/Instruction – Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video (10 Points)
- Project documentation including VUI diagram (10 Points)
- Code – Include working code with helpful comments (10 Points)
The following additional criteria apply for skills categories only (Best Indoor Skill, Best Outdoor Skill, Best Wildcard Skill):
- Published Alexa skill (20 Points) (Skill must be published between the contest start and end dates.)
- Bonus – Make compatible for EchoPlus with Zigbee (10 points)
- Best Overall Alexa Skill + Gadget will receive: Kickstarter Package + $14,000 Cash + Dragon Innovation DFM Certification + Kickstarter Coaching Session + Trophy.
- Best Indoor Alexa Skill + Gadget will receive: $8,000 cash + Kickstarter Coaching Session + Trophy.
- Best Outdoor Alexa Skill + Gadget will receive: $8,000 cash + Kickstarter Coaching Session + Trophy.
- Best Wildcard Alexa Skill + Gadget will receive: $6,000 cash + Kickstarter Coaching Session + Trophy.
- Best Alexa Voice Service Integration will receive: $8,000 cash + Kickstarter Coaching Session + Trophy.
To submit your project to the Contest and to be eligible to win a prize (no purchase necessary, no prior entries required):
- Build and submit your project by Feb 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT
- Build your project using Amazon Alexa
- Add a new project by clicking the "+" symbol at the top right side of the screen and follow the submission template.
- Share detailed instructions with images in the story section.
- Share the bill of materials.
- Share the electronics schematics.
- Share the source code (optionally via Github or Bitbucket).
- Share the CAD files (if relevant).
To the extent there is any conflict between these Contest Rules and the Full Rules, the Full Rules will control.
Project submissions open:
November 21, 2017 at 8:01 AM PT
Project submissions close:
February 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT
Winners announced by:
March 15, 2018
Contest winners will be announced on March 15, 2018. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
Open to individuals who are the older of eighteen (18) years of age or the legal age of majority in their place of residence at the time of entry and are also legal residents of any country outside of Brazil, Quebec, or any country, state, province or territory where the laws of the United States or local law prohibits participating or receiving a prize in the Challenge (including, but not limited to Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria and any other country designated by the United States Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx), and (2) at or above the age of majority in their country, state, and jurisdiction of residence at the time of Submission (each, a “Participant”). Challenge is void outside of the jurisdictions outlined above and where prohibited by law. Participants may not be members of any guild, union or other organization that may prohibit them from participating in this Challenge and that would restrict, require due payment or otherwise have the right to oppose such participant’s participation in this Challenge . Directors, officers, employees, interns, and contractors (“Personnel”) of Sponsor, Hackster, Inc. (“Hackster”), and each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective advertising, promotion and public relations agencies, representatives, and agents (collectively, “Challenge Entities”), immediate families members of such Personnel (parents, siblings, children, spouses, and life partners of each) and members of the households of such Personnel (whether related or not) are ineligible to participate in this Challenge
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.