Most of the appliances from TV, DTH receiver , DVD Players to AC, etc are controlled wirelessly using IR remotes.
If you want to make an IR based project with a remote which you bought from the market or the remote of your AC, TV ,etc. then, you should be aware of the codes which are sent by the remote to the IR receiver in the appliance or device.
IR remote has a button and a microcontroller with IR LED attached. When a button is pressed, a microcontroller identified the button and sends the corresponding modulated signals (codes) to the IR LED. Then, the IR LED sends it to the IR receiver in the appliance.
We can't see the infrared(IR) light because their wavelength is not in our spectrum.
System in the appliance demodulate the signals(codes) and the checks the function corresponding to it and executes it. Each function has a different code.
Every IR operated appliance has different codes for different function.
Follow the steps:
- Connect the first pin from left (OUT pin) with the pin 11 of Arduino.
- Hook the middle pin (GND pin) with the GND pin of the Arduino.
- Connect the third pin (VCC pin) with the 5 V pin of the Arduino.
Remember to install the IRremote.h library from here.
- Copy or download the code attached with the project.
- Hit upload and open serial monitor.
- Take any remote you want to use or you want the codes off it and press any button.
- Now, see in the serial monitor. You will see a code of the corresponding button you pressed.
- Note the codes on a paper or copy them in a document file on PC.
You can also run the online simulator for further understanding by clicking here.