Here's the link to the full story on Medium: https://medium.com/@cubios_inc/unbelievably-huge-led-christmas-lights-coming-to-our-house-this-holiday-season-7028c24a9036
The total budget for the project was about $400. Not bad for 4,800 lights in 16 LED strips.
The hardware you’ll need for this festive DIY project:
- 16 LED strips, WS2812b, 16.4 feet.
Two lines are soldered together to cover the length of the roof. 8 lines are secured under each other. In the end, you’ll be left with what basically amounts to a 32.8 foot long screen.
- 3 5V, 400W power supplies. One on each side of the screen and the third one in the center.
- Arduino Mega 2560
- Arduino Mega Proto Shield 2560
- 8 5 ohm resistors transferring data from Arduino to LED strips
- LED strip connectors
Connect them to Arduino Mega Proto shield.
- 3 capacitors 1000 uF * 10V to protect LED lights from voltage peaks