Software apps and online services
1. Prepare all part that must use in project and solder tools
* If you purchase part from Aliexpress avoid this shop (ANA FANG)
This is SCAM shop. They send empty package with no item. The trick they use is deliver with register mail, while you get item and open there is empty nothing in the mail. The part might cheap and you can let it go but it waste time to wait for new order.
2. 3D print the case
Arduboy DIY with FX by Nochii - Thingiverse
and download all 3D and print it
1. Solder pin head in to Arduino pro micro board. Just solder only Raw, 10, TX0, 9 pin is ok. This for attach the board with protoboard.
2. Place switch in to protoboard and solder it.
in this step you might need the 3D print part Front to adjust the switch location.
3. Make bootloader flash pin for flash Arduino pro micro with Arduino UNO
connect wire from Arduino UNO to Pro Micro
ref: Arduino UNO as ISP - burn bootloader on Arduino Pri Micro (schou.dk)
4. grab Arduino IDE version 1.8.19
install MrBlinky Arduboy-homemade-package
link: GitHub - MrBlinky/Arduboy-homemade-package: Arduino IDE board package for Arduboy and homemade versions making things easy
* instruction is in his github
5. Go to File>Examples>ArduinoISP>ArduinoISP Open it. Then plug Arduino UNO with PC/mac then upload the code to make Arduino UNO as ISP
6. Burn bootloader with setting like picture below. Make sure that you connect Arduino Pro Micro with Arduino UNO
* I use Alternate wiring with flash select Pin0/D2/RX
** Port select COM port that connect with Arduino UNO
When everything ready click Tools>Burn Bootloader and wait for result
* If you not set Show verbose output during upload you might not see any log in this step.
7. If everything going well un-solder the connector with Arduino UNO, unplug everything from PC/mac then back to your solder station. your Arduino pro micro should look like this
attach Arduino Pro Micro with Protoboard like this
* Check the position well. If you do not attach it like this, it might not fit with 3D print part.
if everything corrects soler all switches and Arduino Pro Micro with Protoboard and cut the exceed pin
8. Place OLED and attach it with 3M double-sided adhesive
in this step we need the 3D print Part "front" to adjust the OLED screen position. If the screen hole fit with OLED visible zone use the double-sided adhesive to adhesive the OLED with Protoboard.
9. Place reset switch into this position.
* You might need to adjust the screen position if it not fit.
** recheck reset button by place the 3D part "Reset Button" into the hole in part "Front" then place the board into it, if the switch clickable, then just solder the reset button with protoboard.
*** re-check every button with multimeter. For direction switch just check G with other direction pin.
9. Start solder Arduino pro micro pin with all switches.
Switch --------- Arduino Pro micro
Up -------------- A0
Left ------------- A2
Right ----------- A1
Down ---------- A3
A ---------------- 7
B ---------------- 8
* Check the wire well in this step
put the slide on-off switch into the place like picture above
10. prepare W25Qxxx flash memory by connect 10k Resistor with CS pin
11. Place W25Qxxx (xxx is flash size) into protoboard with double-sided adhesive.
then connect OLED pin with Arduino pro micro
OLED ------------ Pro Micro
CS ---------------------- TX0
DC ---------------------- 4
RES --------------------- 2
SDA (DI) -------------- 16 (MOSI)
SCL (SCK/DO) ------- 15 (SCK)
VCC -------------------- VCC
GND ------------------- GND (any)
Tip: SDA and SCL pin should connect to free space on Protoboard like the picture above because these pins will connect to W25Qxxx module. VCC also can use this tip.
Then connect W25Qxxx with Arduino Pro micro
W25Qxxx ---------------- Pro Micro
DI --------------------------- 16 (MOSI)
CLK ------------------------- 15 (SCK)
DO -------------------------- 14 (MISO)
CS --------- R10k --------- RX1
12. Test! and upload program
Plug Arduino pro micro with PC/mac if screen show USB port picture that mean you wire OLED correct.
go to MrBliky Aruboy-Python Utilities:
GitHub - MrBlinky/Arduboy-Python-Utilities: Python script to upload.hex,.zip or.arduboy files to Arduboy and Homemade versions
and then go to Arduboy FX mod-chip:
GitHub - MrBlinky/Arduboy-FX-mod-chip: Self updating bootloader for Arduboy FX
grab the uploader tools and Arduboy FX mod-chip
then go to my link (for who do not want to cook their own flashcart):
* You can build your own flash card by compile game with Alternate wiring, flash select Pin0/D2/RX, OLED SSD1309 but this not cover in this tutorial.
** you cannot use Cart builder Cart Builder (bloggingadeadhorse.com) because the wire is alternate wiring (this easy to build with flash but not compatible with Cart Builder)
After you get all tools unzip Arduboy-Python-Utilities, install Python by follow tutorial in the link. Then unzip Arduboy-FX-mod-chip.
In Arduboy-FX-mod-chip browse to folder portable-activator and run run-fx-activator-windows.bat for window or fx-activator.py for mac. The menu will pop-up like this
Follow the Instructions step:
upload arduboy-activator.hex to your Arduboy (now it is Arduboy) then upload flashcart-image.bin (If you do not have your own build, just use mine as test flashcart image)
if everything collects the OLED screen will change in to game menu and can play now (with no sound)
13. Back to your work brunch
connect speaker red wire into Arduino pro micro pin 5 and black wire into ground. Now your Arduboy have sound :)
I place the speaker here.
14. Battery connect
Wire battery into board like picture below
+ goto Arduino pro micro Pin Raw
- goto any GND (ground)
* I connect + into switch then go to Raw. but you can use ground instead if you wish.
15. Install everything into your 3D Print case
Place battery and charger like this and use double-sided adhesive. For charger you can use your normal double-sided adhesive but for battery find slim one or just use hot glue (not recommend) actually just use normal tape to hold it is fine.
16. Close the case
Place direction cap then finish :)
* If your case difficult to close you might adjust the battery and charger or try to use hot glue to connect the case but very careful not use the glue with battery or any circuit module.
Credit and ref:
Production Arduboy Schematic - Development - Arduboy
Build your own Arduboy FX Cart Image - Arduboy - Arduboy
If you just want to play the game and too lazy to build, go here:
Arduboy Mini by Kevin Bates — Kickstarter
Shop — Arduboy <-- I suggest this one with FX mod
(If official shop sold out grab it here)