Coin sorting machine w/o Arduino
Originally the project was born after my son builded a coin sorting machine for his school project. We thought it would be cool to count the money.
Original Coin Sorting machine w/o Arduino before assembling sorting slide.
Coin sorting and counting machine with Arduino
Original Coin Sorting machine w/o Arduino.
When I startet this project I had to consider some lessons learned out of the original project. e.g. the shadow masks of the sorting slide. The old ones (see picture below) were a little bit too long. I had to make it a little bit shorter otherwise the "window" for the falling coins is too wide and it could create problems to detect the falling coins with the IR sensor.
The first prototype was made with IR sensors which are placed shortly after resp. below the masks of the slide. The recognition rate was approx. 90%. A experimented a lot with the sensitivity of the IR sensors, but 90% was the best I could reach. I decided to use simple LED's in combination with a photo resistor.
It's a little bit more cable stuff, but the recognition rate of a falling coin was 97%. The remaining 3% could be reached if I would design the mask smaller to ensure the falling coin will always fall through the light gate. It's also important to ensure a constant speed of the coins.
By the may... the vibration motor was clued under the feeder. I used a 9V block battery to be able to run this project w/o external power supply.
Only the sorting slide must be adapted for other currencies.
Schematics (simplified LED/photo resistor packs are not wired to the board)
Slide with integrated LED's.
Back side of the slide with the glued-in photo resistors - still visible the IR sensors of the try-out.
Back side of the slide with the glued-in photo resistors - finally assembled.