The app is currently undergoing certification in the Alexa app store.
I got annoyed that there wasn't a TV Guide app for my new Amazon Echo Dot, so I made one.
I spent a lot of time looking at what TV API's were available, and found that a lot were quite limited for what I was looking for in a major use case - being able to ask Alexa when a show is on. I settled on TVmaze, as it offered a free to use (as long as they were credited!) API which allowed me to look up a show with fuzzy matching, with a returned link to the next episode (where I could get the episode air date).
My aim for this was to be able learn Alexa development and NodeJS best practises, and I got the intial version of this out in a couple of evenings experiementation. After spending a few weeks improving - adding new intents and (best I can) error handling - it is ready for release!
Possible intents are as follows:
- ShowAirtimeIntent: eg. "Alexa, ask TV Guide what time 'Humans' is on"
- ShowAirtimeFullIntent: eg. "Alexa, ask TV Guide how long is 'Humans'"
- ShowCastIntent: eg. "Alexa, ask TV Guide who's the lady from 'Humans'"
- ShowChannelIntent: eg. "Alexa, ask TV Guide what channel 'Humans' is on."
- ShowPreviousSummaryIntent: eg. "Alexa, ask TV Guide to catch me up on 'Humans'"
- AMAZON.HelpIntent "You can ask me..."
Instructions for working with it locally can be found in the GIT repository.