catFeeder is an Arduino (ESP8266) Telegram controlled cat feeder which I use to feed my cats when I'm away.
About the ESP8266:
My colleague Bagheera enjoying her brand new catFeeder!
The ESP8266 is a low-cost Wi-Fi chip with full TCP/IP stack and MCU (microcontroller unit) capability produced by Shanghai-based Chinese manufacturer, Espressif Systems.
Click here to access the full article.Main features:
- Controlled via Telegram bot.
- Possibility to check how much food can be still delivered with an HC-SR04 ultrasonic ranging sensor.
Bill of materials (with shipping):
- Multi access point (can manage more than one SSID / password).
- 1 x NodeMCU V3 dev board (esp8266): ~2.65 USD.
- 1 x NodeMCU Base Breadboard (optional): ~1.88 USD.
- 1 x L298N Dual H bridge driver: ~3.33 USD.
- 1 x HC-SR04 ultrasonic ranging sensor: ~1.50 USD.
- 1 x 12V 2A Power Supply*: ~6.58 USD.
- 1 x Cereal dispenser: ~10.00 USD.
- 1 x 80x25x1.8cm piece of wood: ~6.00 USD.
- 1 x Plastic enclosure for PSU: ~4.00 USD.
- 1 x 4 pieces lot 5x8mm couplings: ~5.50 USD.
- 1 x NEMA 17 Motor 1.7A: ~9.00 USD.
- 1 x Misc. cables: ~2.00 USD.
Total cost: 52,44 USD.Schematics:
There's actually no need of perfboard / protoboard. However, in order to mount the HC-SR04 on the top of the cereal dispenser you may use a hot glue gun.
Parameters to be updated on the .ino file:
Define how many steps will the stepper motor rotate in order to deliver one dose:
const int stepsPerDose = 100;
Define de max. distance the ultrasonic sensor measures when the cereal dispenser is empty:
float max_food = 23.50;
Replace "XXXXXXX" with your Telegram Token:
#define BOTtoken "CHANGEME_TELEGRAM_TOKEN"
Add one of those statements for each SSID you want to be able to connect:
Required Arduino libraries:
Controlling the cat feeder via Telegram bot:
Controlling catFeeder via Telegram bot.