The aim of this project is to make the balcony of your home interactive. Balcony is a nice place to spend time on a nice sunny day. However, you have to take some precaution if you have a little kid or a pet.
When implemented your balcony will have the following functions:
- It will invite you to spend time at the balcony (depending on the weather conditions).
- It will inform you when there is someone at the balcony (could be your kid or your pet but don't think of it as a burglar alarm).
- It will inform you about the situation of the balcony doors (open or closed).
- It can have additional functionality in the future (camera, UV index sensor and etc.).
The system works as follows:
- The Cypress Analog Coprocessor Kit is going to handle the inputs from the sensors. On board motion, temperature, relative humidity and light sensors are going to be used.
- Additional magnetic contact switches (from Mouser Electronics) are going to be used for the detection of the balcony doors situation (open/closed).
- Arduino MKR1000 is going to be used to send messages to a smartphone according to the data collected from the sensors.
- A buzzer is going to be used as a warning device. It will warn the user when there is a person or a pet in the balcony.