Soldering was pretty easy and straightforward, I didn't experience any hindrances. One thing I can do better is to keep the iron more in the middle of the wires (halfway between the plastic insulation on both sides) so I don't melt the ends of the plastic. I could also work on stripping wires better.
I did NOT solder the wires like this, but thought the configuration was good for this picture!
I was unable to get my code to work correctly. I think I may be overthinking the setup. Code is at the bottom.
The LED is attached to output digital pin 13, and to the ground. The switch is attached to 5V input, and to input digital pin 7 so the Arduino can collect info on whether the switch is open or closed, and manipulate the cases I put in my code to alter the blinking light.