I laser cut two walls and supported them with some wood I cut. I used gears generated using geargenerator.com, and cut those out as well.
My project is a hand-powered connection of vertical and horizontal gears, where the gears attached to the far wall have cams on them. The gears are well supported and rotate well together, however, the cams are meant to push a vertical stick with a penguin attached. This doesn’t work well, as the sticks the penguins are on are too abrasive with both their holders and the cam on which they’re supposed to sit. As a result, the gears are not sturdy enough to overpower this combined work of friction. I just left off the penguin shafts for now.
The idea was to make the penguins bounce up and down, and to attach a final gear with a servo onto the closest gear, to power the project using Arduino. I'm still working on that.
Troubles I experienced:
That was the biggest problem I experienced, and to mitigate that issue in the future, I’m going to sand every part that relies on a smooth connection with another part.
The gear-set is designed to translate rotational motion to linear motion, where the penguins travel on an up and down path dictated by the rotating cam.
I supported the gears and main foundations with many supporting dowels, essentially so every axis of every gear had a support to limit its motion in that direction.