Software apps and online services
Hand tools and fabrication machines
What problems did you experience when you are taking medications?
- Late medication? Wrong times?
- Missed a dose?
- Taking the wrong medicine?
- Taking the expired pills?
The Pill Machine can help you. Our awarded project, IoT Pill Bottle, did part of it. This project take a few steps forward to make a better solution. Pill Machine is an IoT home appliance to help user take right drug at the right time and in right dosage.Existing situation
Caring for chronic user medication is challenging. Some of users take 1X types of pills with complicated schedule. The device can help us out.Objective
The objective of this IoT device - Pill Machine is focus on chronic user taking medications timely at home. It target to achieve 3 of 5 rights drug administration:
- Right Drug
- Right Time
- Right Dosage
There have 2 parts of features, Pill Machine and mobile app:
- Get user identification and pill information from the pill container (The feature is not ready in this phase)
- Get take pill schedule from the cloud service
- Scheduled reminder (screen and voice notification)
- Dispense drugs from pill container with user acknowledge and confirmation on screen
- Time and drugs information will submit to cloud after drug dispensed (for medical use / family reference)
- Taken / missing notification to family, clinican and user
- Historical data and upcoming schedule
- Pill detailed information
- Get all items from the component list
- Download required softwares
- 3D print all STL objects
- Print the pill_slot_cutout.pdf on a transparency and cut it out
- Pills various in shape and size, this prototype use a pill slot system that capable to handle various pill shape within the size 10 mm x 10 mm x 7 mm. The support size can be extended by revise the pill slot and pill container magnitude
- To simplify the mechanical design, this prototype use a spinner servo to select from up to 8 pill slots and a ejector servo to eject 1 and only 1 pill each time.
- LinkIt Smart 7688 Duo have MCU and MPU at the same board, this prototype design put all business logic in the MCU, the role of MPU is communicating with the cloud service.
- To simplify the coding and wire connection, this prototype use USART HMI display module as a GUI. It can direct draw image stored in its flash memory, draw text and accept touch screen user response. All interaction just require a serial port communicate with the MCU.
- To improve the accessibility, this prototype also added an voice module aid the user interaction. It also use serial port communicate with the MCU.
Familiar LinkIt Smart 7688 Duo with Seeed Wiki and install Arduino LinkIt Smart 7688 Duo support package.
Use USB serial cable or SSH connect to LinkIt Smart 7688 Duo MPU and type the following command:
uci set yunbridge.config.disabled='0'> uci commit
- Connect display module with USB serial cable
- Download, install and open USART HMI software
- Open PillMachine.hmi
- Deploy the program
- The clipart used in this UI is [Designed by Freepik]
- Connect LinkIt Smart 7688 Duo MCU with USB cable
- Download, install and open Arduino software
- install Arduino LinkIt Smart 7688 Duo support package
- Open PillMachine.ino
- Deploy the program
Pill Container Decoration
Pill Machine Case Internal Patch
Pill Machine Case External Patch
Prepare PCB And PCB Mount
Cut the PCB to fit in the pen holder and drill a pair of 3mm holes on both PCB and pen holder base to match the 3D printed internal base screw holes.
Prepare LCD and LCD Frame
Cut one side of display module PCB to fit for the 3D printed LCD frame, fix it with a pair of M3*5mm screws.
Fix plug on the spinner servo and gear on the ejector servo with 4 of M1*6mm screws. Then fix both servos on the internal base.
Assembly LCD Frame And Pill Slide
This prototype is ready for personal use, but it still need some coding to generalised the public use:
- facilitate input and edit take pill schedule on the cloud
- auto adjust next schedule by take pill time
- get next schedule from the cloud
- embed flash chip or micro SD card to the pill container
- pill machine read the user info when the pill container plugged in
- pair user info with the cloud