In this post we will tell about how to run the popular torrent client uTorrent on Raspberry Pi. Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3 are based on ARM microprocessor which is not supported by uTorrent. But it is possible to run uTorrent on Raspberry Pi 2 using a virtual machine called ExaGear Desktop which allows us to run x86 apps on Raspberry Pi 2/3.
Below are simple instructions including how to run uTorrent on your RPi and make from your RPi uTorrent server.
1. Download ExaGear Desktop archive with installation packages and license key. Open command-line Terminal and unpack downloaded archive using the following command:
$ tar -xvzpf exagear-desktop-rpi2.tar.gz
2. Install and activate ExaGear on your ARM device by running install-exagear.sh script in a directory with deb packages and one license key:
$ sudo ./install-exagear.sh
3. Enter the guest x86 system using the following command:
4. Now you are in x86 environment that can be checked by running ‘arch’ command:
5. It is recommended to update apt-get repositories on the first launch of the guest system:
$ sudo apt-get update
6. Download the latest uTorrent Server from here. You need to download uTorrent Server for Debian 32-bit.
7. Extract uTorrent Files to the /opt directory:
$ sudo tar xvzf utserver.tar.gz -C /opt/
8. Set permission on uTorrent Server folder:
$ sudo chmod -R 755 /opt/utorrent-server-alpha-v3_3/
9. Run the command to link uTorrent Server to the /user/bin directory:
$ sudo ln -s /opt/utorrent-server-alpha-v3_3/utserver /usr/bin/utserver
10. Start uTorrent Server:
$ utserver -settingspath /opt/utorrent-server-alpha-v3_3/
Note: If you get an error about libssl.so package missing, run the command below to install it, then try starting uTorrent Server again:
$ sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.8:i386
11. Open Firefox and go to the URL: http://localhost:8080/gui. The username is admin and leave the password field empty.
It is worth to note that with ExaGear Desktop you can run other x86 apps on Raspberry Pi 2. ExaGear also supports first generation of Raspberry Pi and another ARM-based devices such as Odroid, Banana Pi, Beagleboard, Cubox, Jetson, Cubieboard etc.
If you want to try the software used in this guide, GET EXAGEAR DESKTOP NOW
Did you replicate this project? Share it!I made one
Love this project? Think it could be improved? Tell us what you think!