1. Name Tag
For my name tag, I wanted to make it representative of me. In hindsight, it probably should have been more professional and sleek, but I had a lot of fun trying to make what I did end up doing work! Essentially, I laser cut a background that I found on Dribbble onto white acrylic, rubbed in some paint, and glued on the wood part. The only issue I ran into was having my name stand out against the background, so I put some masking tape under the letters and painted it black.
For my ring I wanted to make something that I would actually wear, so naturally, I went to the Forever 21 website for inspiration. I didn't find anything that stood out to me, so I took a style that I'd liked, Victorian, and built a version in 123D. Once I'd made the model, I realized that I wanted to make the gem a different color, so I had to splice that bit off. Then, when I loaded the file into Cura, I again ran into an issue, this time that my ring had no surface on which to lay flat to be printed. I again spliced, removing the ring from the ring head.
While printing, I ran into issues like the layers not sticking, or printing flat, which was solved by using a glue stick to coat the printing surface first. In the end, my ring actually turned out to be too big. I solved this by cutting the flat edge of the ring part in half, then pushing them together and super gluing, then gluing the modified ring to the ring head, instead of reprinting the ring, in order to give other students a chance to use the printer.