- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- Free hardware application: Do I have to submit a project entry if I receive free hardware?
- Free hardware application: How many free devices are available?
- Free hardware application: How many ideas can I submit?
- Free hardware application: I was notified that I was selected to receive one of free devices. When will I receive it?
- Free hardware application: What happens if I receive free hardware and do not submit a project entry?
- Free hardware application: What kind of idea is more likely to win free hardware?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
Participants who receive free hardware and do not submit a project may be ineligible for future giveaways unless the hardware is returned.
If you receive free hardware and become unable to submit a project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know as soon as possible. We may choose to arrange for the hardware to be shipped to another participant.
To be eligible for judging, you must meet ALL of the following requirements unless otherwise stated:
- You must be registered as a participant for this contest.
- You must create a Snips.ai account.
- Your entry must be your own original work.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Hackster contest.
- Your team is no more than 5 members per entry.*
*By entering a submission to this contest on behalf of a team, you acknowledge that you are the designated representative authorized to act on behalf of your team. (See full rules below for details)
Hardware Application Requirements
Note: If you choose to submit an application for free hardware, you must meet the following requirements. If not, continue to 'Hardware/Software Build Requirements' below.
- Your hardware application must be submitted via the online application form found on the contest page’s “apply for hardware” tab.
- Your hardware application must be written in English.
- Your hardware application must use MATRIX devices (the MATRIX Creator or MATRIX Voice).
- Your hardware application must solve a problem related to a voice application utilizing MATRIX devices with Snips.ai.
- Your hardware application must be submitted by August 25th, 2019 by 11.59pm PT.
Hardware/Software Build Requirements
- Your project must be created using MATRIX devices (the MATRIX Creator or MATRIX Voice)
- Your project must be created using Snips.ai as the primary voice assistant.
- Your project must be created using the MATRIX software libraries that support MATRIX device development.
- Your project must qualify for one of the contest categories: Overall winner, Automations & Optimizations, Fun, or the Arm Innovation Challenge.
- Your project must solve a problem related to a voice application utilizing MATRIX devices with Snips.ai.
- In order to qualify for the Arm Innovation Challenge, your project must adhere to one of the following- creative utilization of the MATRIX Creator's IMU or environmental sensors, or use of other Arm-based boards in combination with MATRIX devices. Use of the Raspberry Pi does not qualify for this challenge.
Project Documentation Requirements
- Your project must include a project name, short project description, cover image, bill of materials (BOM), full instructions, images, and relevant resource files (schematics, code, CAD).
- Your project must be written in English.
- Your project must be submitted by November 17th, 2019 by 11.59pm PT.
Your project will be judged according to the rubric below.
- Project Documentation (30 points)
Story/Instructions - Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or a video demonstration of your solution working as intended. Ask yourself: “If I were a beginner reading this project, would I understand how to recreate it?”
- Complete BOM (10 points)
Detail the hardware, software and/or tools used.
- Schematics (10 points)
Draw your circuit diagrams using software like Fritzing.org and/or take detailed photographs.
- Code & Contribution (20 points)
Include working code with helpful comments.
- Creativity (30 points)
Your idea doesn’t have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea)
- 3D printer, robot arm, feature w/ Alex Glow ($1,050 value)
- Flash Forge Finder 3D Printer ($350 value)
- Flash Forge Finder 3D Printer ($350 value)
- Robotic Arm ($350 value)
- $250 Gift card + Video interview + More $430 value
Step 1: Register for the Contest
- Start by creating a free account on Hackster.io (or sign-in if already a member).
- Register for the contest by clicking “Register as a participant”.
Step 2: Build and Document Your Project
- Build your project according to the submission requirements.
- Document your project build using Hackster’s project template. To create a new project, click “create new project” on the contest page or the “+” symbol in the top right corner of your Hackster page.
Step 3: Review and submit your project
- Review your project and make sure it meets all the submission requirements.
- Upload a previously created project by clicking “add existing project” on the contest page.
- Submit your project by November 17th, 2019 by 11.59pm PT by clicking “review and submit project” on the contest page.
July 25, 2019 at 9:00 AM PT
Applications for hardware close:
August 25, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT
Hardware recipients announced:
September 2, 2019
November 17, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT
November 25, 2019
free devices winners will be announced by September 2, 2019. The list of winners will be visible on the Ideas tab.
Contest winners will be announced on November 25, 2019. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are at least 13 years of age
If you are 12 years or younger, you must receive a legal guardian's permission and have them complete Hackster’s contest permission form prior to submitting an entry into this contest. Send any questions to email@example.com.
- You are not a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria
US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to the countries listed above, therefore residents of these countries are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this contest.
- You are not an immediate family member or household member of a Hackster employee.
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.