Join the “Dream and Build” Plug-in Developer Contest to take a RICOH THETA Z1 / THETA V 360 degree camera and customize it!
The RICOH THETA V is an Android-based camera with an open architecture that allows building your own programs and installing them in the camera to completely customize functionality. Companies in a wide range of industries like Construction, Real Estate, Used Car Sales, Virtual Tours/Tourism and many more have based their products and services on customized THETAs.
Win cool Prizes like an HTC - VIVE Pro Headset, a DJI Quadcopter drone, an Android tablet, and lots more!
This contest is most appropriate for Android developers who have a RICOH THETA Z1 / THETA V camera.
So... get a chance to use a fantastically fun and useful 360 degree camera, Improve Your Skills, win prizes, and most importantly have a lot of fun!
If you do not have THETA, start with the Ideation phase, found in the Apply for Hardware tab. Describe your idea for the plug-in you want to build.
If you do have a THETA, but you're not sure what to build, ask us! We have Starting Points and suggestions that may help.
If you want to do some Android image manipulation programming (we supply a 360 degree image, you code some simple functionality without having the camera) you will be Prioritized in receiving a camera.
You will be developing an Android app, called a plug-in, for your RICOH THETA. The first step in the process is registering for the RICOH THETA Plug-in Partner Program and sending in the serial number on the bottom of your THETA. Registration is free.
When you submit your plug-in for the contest, you will submit it through the RICOH THETA Plug-in Partner Program.
The RICOH THETA V is the world’s best-selling 360 degree camera. It is an Android based OS with an open architecture that allows excellent access to extremely high quality specialized hardware.
- 14MP 360 degree images, 5376 × 2688 resolution
- 4K/30fps 360° video recording and in-camera stitching
- Record 360 spatial audio with 4 internal mics
- 4K/30fps 360° live streaming
- Programmable open architecture (“Plug-ins”)
- Number of Lenses: 2 x F2.0
- Video Resolution: 4K 3840×1920 @ 29.97fps/56Mbps - 2K 1920×960 @ 29.97fps/16Mbps
- Image Resolution: 14 MP 5376×2688
- 360 Live-Stream: 4K, 3840×1920 @ 29.97fps/120Mbps - 2K, 1920×960 @ 29.97fps/42Mbps
- Internal Memory: 19GB
- Audio: 4 internal Microphones Optional 4 channel Mic attachment for 360 audio
- Data Formats
- Images: JPEG (Exif Ver2.3)
- Videos: MP4 (Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio: AAC-LC (mono) + Linear PCM (4ch spatial audio))
- Live streaming: (Video: H.264, Audio: AAC-LC (mono))
We are giving away almost $6,000 worth of prizes to 12 lucky winners! Do your best! You do not need to pick a category when you submit your entry.
3D Microphone TA-1, Underwater Housing TW-1 with 30 meters of waterproofing, Theta Stand TM-1 stowed 53.5 cm, extended 150 cm, Theta Extension TE-1
Raspberry Pi Media Center Kit - Includes Pi Model 3 B+ and Raspberry Pi Foundation Starter Kit with Pi 3 (Link shows only this kit)
Judge’s Freestyle Favorite (fun, silly, unexpected, nice try, or other)
- Shinobu Fujiki
General Manager, THETA Business Division, RICOH COMPANY LTD.
- Jesse Casman - theta360.guide developer community co-organizer (@jcasman)
Jesse helps run the developer community for RICOH THETA in the US, is active in THETA meetups and technical workshops, tries to be helpful in the forums but has learned more from community members that probably he has taught, has helped many developers submit plug-ins and now wants to submit one of his own (unfortunately, I can't compete in this contest) and likes to use his THETA in San Francisco to take pictures of cool landmarks.
- Craig Oda - theta360.guide developer community co-organizer (@codetricity)
Craig is well known in the THETA developer community for helping build tutorials, respond to lots of questions, and generally encourage everyone to post their progress, even if it's not perfect. Getting your work out there means learning quicker! Craig's hobbies include teaching Python to children and finding the answers to arcane problems when others have given up.
- Takeharu "TK" Tone - RICOH THETA product manager
TK is responsible for business development and
technical partnership development for the RICOH THETA 360-degree camera and its API. TK supports THETA partners ranging from enthusiastic individuals to large corporations utilizing the THETA. In his spare time, TK likes to hike in Northern California and play ultimate frisbee.
- Michael Usami, Ph.D
Product Planning Dept., THETA Development Division,
RICOH COMPANY LTD.
A real technology enthusiast in such fields as XR, works for RICOH deeply involved in THETA business development. Based out of RICOH HQ in Tokyo.
- Shigeki Takeuchi
Manager, Sales & Marketing, THETA Business Division,
RICOH COMPANY, LTD
- RICOH THETA Plug-in Partner Program
- theta360.guide developer community Get Started with Plug-ins section
- theta360.guide developer community Contest Support section
Gain reputation points!
Earn reputation points for participating in this contest:
- Submit an application to receive a free device: 5 points
- Your submitted hardware application wins: 50 points
- Submit a project entry: 10 points
- Submit a project entry 30 days before the deadline: 50 points
- Be among the first 10 to submit a project entry: 50 points
- Your submitted project entry wins the contest: 250 points
March 20, 2019 at 8:00AM PT
Applications for hardware close
April 16, 2019 at 11:59PM PT
Hardware recipients announced
April 19, 2019 at 10:00AM PT
July 23, 2019 at 11:59PM PT
Winners announced by
July, 30 2019