- Ready to use IoT device: BLE 5.0 with nine sensors
- End to end solution: full software stack at firmware, gateway and cloud levels
- Dashboard: real time data visualization with Brainium widgets
- Customization: ready to use cloud API for customization
- AI at the Edge with zero coding approach: using AI studio you can build and deploy in a few clicks an AI model
- Security at the Edge: edge to cloud security model
We're inviting you to choose something in your day-to-day life (or bigger!) that could benefit from the power of IoT. Build an end-to-end solution using SmartEdge Agile and the Brainium portal to showcase AI and security at the edge.
Ready to get your feet wet? We are giving away 100 free SmartEdge Agile IoT solutions to the best project proposals to support your contest entry build. Fill out an application in the Apply for Hardware tab.
If you want to get started right away, head over to Avnet and purchase yours today!
SmartEdge Agile is a certified hardware solution with a full software stack that helps you avoid the complexity of deep learning tools and development processes.
SmartEdge Agile establishes a brand new category in the Internet of Things: meta-sensing. This CE and FCC-certified product is the first in a suite of hardware-software solutions that allow engineers at any level to develop and deploy AI-backed IoT solutions
The sensors board suite includes a 3D accelerometers, a 3D gyroscope, a 3D magnetometer, a pressure sensor, a humidity and temperature sensor, a microphone, an ambient light sensor and proximity sensor. SmartEdge Agile also embeds a Secure Element to insure authentication, encryption and integrity of the exchanged data.
Octonion’s Brainium portal allows you to build artificial intelligence models and push them to the edge using Brainium's zero-code machine learning tool hosted on Microsoft Azure. This software solution provides engineers with:
- An easy and intuitive drag-and-drop widget-based interface (features include: device monitoring, device provisioning, device management) with a real-time insights on your SmartEdge Agile device
- Visualization and export of the data coming from devices
- AI Studio for motion and vibration analysis
- End to end security model from the SmartEdge Agile up to the Cloud
In order for users to take full advantage of Azure performance and robustness, the solution comes with 6 months Microsoft Azure free hosting when you start using SmartEdge Agile!
These categories can be applied to all different types of projects, for example:
smart home, smart farming, gesture control, smart factory, smart appliances and more!
Best Use of AI at the Edge
Develop your IoT project with AI at the Edge. Use AI Studio to build your AI models for motion and/or vibration analysis. With zero coding approach, you can deploy your AI model on your SmartEdge Agile with just a few clicks.
Best Use Case For Real Life Practical Application
Demonstrate how your IoT project can be applied to any real life challenges and that can be deployed in real life.
Best Use Case For Industrial IoT
Use Brainium Portal and AI Studio to demonstrate a concrete Industrial IoT use case that
can benefit from this end-to-end IoT solution.
Hackster Impact Prize
Join Hackster as we rally with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in order to make today's world a smarter, healthier place. The Hackster team will select one project that best contributes to any of the SDGs. Please refer to the specific judging criteria for this prize category.
The winner will receive the following:
- a $250 gift card;
- a 12-month subscription to Patchr Premium ($180 value);
- last but not least, they will be featured in a video interview with Hackster’s one and only Alex Glow.
Please visit the Hackster Impact Prize page for more information.
Co-founder and COO, Octonion
Before Octonion, Ongan served as Vice President of Value Added Services at HTC Corp. His primarily role at Octonion is to manage all Operations and Technology teams.
Director of Americas IoT Business Development, Avnet
Working alongside Avnet’s IoT team, he is focused on assisting customers to create secure and connected products. At Avnet, he strives to make technology relevant to customers; he has held positions in Applications Engineering, Management, and Technical Marketing. Michael’s 20-year career in technology ranges from automation systems to communications infrastructure, as well as experience in computer forensics for E-discovery.
Luis Benito Matias Igea
IoT Principal Solutions Specialist, Microsoft
Luis Benito is a systems engineer that have been working from developer to enterprise architect that specializes in Cloud Services. Previously he was responsible for the development of Microsoft Azure Cloud Platform capabilities and solutions for partners in Latin America. Currently he works in Microsoft’s Global Channels organization managing growth of IoT business for partners using Microsoft Azure.
Microcontroller Product Marketing Manager, STMicroelectronics
Mr. Hamard currently manages a group in charge of product definition of Microcontrollers containing the whole STM8 portfolio as well as the STM32F0, STM32F1 and STM32F3 series and the newly introduced STM32G0 and STM32G4 composing the Mainstream product family.
Weren't able to join us for our webinar on June 6th? Need to revisit some information that was covered? Check out the full length recording below!
- Have a look to the SmartEdge Agile specs with the Hackster Unboxing by Alex Glow or the Introduction Video on E14.
- Read the Brainium Quick Start Guide
- Get more info with Brainium User Manual and FAQ
- Check out Brainium APIs to customize your project
- We'll soon announce a technical webinar with representatives from the product team to give you an insider's look at the technology. This will be your chance to directly ask questions! Stay tuned for more details.
- Check out element14's "AI at the Edge with Smartedge Agile" free webinar recording to understand the basics of Smartedge Agile and watch a industrial predictive maintenance demo.
- Head over to the discussion tab if you have any questions throughout the contest.
Have a look at the projects already created by the community.
Use Case Examples
There are no limits of what you can achieve with this end to end solution!
Predictive maintenance becomes a reality. The SmartEdge Agile device monitors and analyzes machine behavior in real-time to predict useful run-time, detect anomalies and and schedule maintenance in advance to prevent failures and downtime.
Intelligence in a real world can save human lives. In the event of a motorbike accident, the SmartEdge Agile device can detect crash movement and execute safety protocols by triggering airbag deployment or SOS call.
Make industrial safety gears intelligent and connected. Integration of SmartEdge Agile into safety gears (gloves, vests etc.) helps monitor and analyze their right usage in real time and recognizes individual usage patterns to prevent any misuse or accidents.
An intelligent personal emergency device for the elderly. SmartEdge Agile learns and monitors users' daily routine and sends alerts in the case of a fall, blackout or any change in daily routine behavior.
Gain reputation points!
Earn reputation points for participating in this contest:
- Submit an application to receive a free device: 5 points
- Your submitted hardware application wins: 50 points
- Submit a project entry: 10 points
- Submit a project entry 30 days before the deadline: 50 points
- Be among the first 10 to submit a project entry: 50 points
- Your submitted project entry wins the contest: 250 points
March 21, 2019 at 9:00AM PT
Applications for hardware close
April 19, 2019 at 11:59PM PT
Hardware recipients announced
April 26, 2019 at 12:00PM PT
August 23, 2019 at 11:59PM PT
Winners announced by
August, 30 2019