- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
- Do I have to use technology in my project?
- I don't live in the United States. Can I enter the contest?
- I want to add an existing Hackster project to the contest. Can I do this?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
- Only complete step-by-step projects will be considered for prizes.
- All submissions must be in the English language.
- Projects do not need to include hardware or technology.
- Team submissions will be accepted though prizes may be modified. All team members identified must meet qualification criteria.
- You must be the maker of the project that you submit. However, the original idea does not need to be yours, but you must credit the individual(s) whose design you replicated or modified in your submission and obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry.
- Your project will be removed in the following instances: it's a sales pitch, ad, spam; contains inappropriate language, or is not applicable to this contest (e.g. it's a project but is unrelated to Halloween). If your project is removed, it will only be removed from this contest.
See Full Rules for all requirements.
View the Contest Brief for the Judging Criteria.
- Project featured in Make: Magazine & online + 1-year subscription to Make: Magazine + DIY Pinball Machine in Battle Mode with craft supplies (2 are available)
- Project featured in Make: Magazine & online + 1-year subscription to Make: Magazine + Make: Getting Started with Wearables Kit (2 are available)
- Project featured in Make: Magazine & online + 1-year subscription to Make: Magazine + Compressed Air Rocket Launcher for paper rockets (2 are available)
Step 1: Start by creating a free account and signing in to Make: Community Projects. Or, if you already have a Make: Community Projects account or Hackster.io account, just sign-in.
Step 2: Register for our Halloween contest by clicking "Register as a participant”.
Step 3: Create your project by clicking "Add my Project" on the contest page. Get started by providing a good description of what you’re planning to make and uploading a short video or image(s) describing your planned project.
Then, click Submit to contest.
- To get your project maximum exposure, in the Project Status section, change your project status from Private to "Discoverable in the search and on platform hubs".
Step 4: Tell your friends that you are working on a Halloween project for our contest. Share your project link and remind them to check back from time to time to see your progress.
Step 5: As you work on your project, keep your project page updated. Everyone loves seeing work in progress so don’t be shy about sharing your progress and changes in your design. Your project will be identified as ‘In Progress’ until you mark it as complete.
Step 6: When you’re ready to complete your project page, fill out all relevant information including step-by-step instructions, the parts & materials you used, and any images or videos that can help the community understand how you made your project and see how cool it is.
Then, click Submit to contest.
- When you are asked to include 3 tags for your project (at the end), add the tag ‘Halloween’.
Step 7: When you’ve submitted your completed project, remind your friends who haven’t checked out your project to check it out! Their views and ‘Respects’ help get you points to help you win!
October 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM PT
November 16, 2016 at 11:59 PM PT
November 30, 2016
Contest winners will be announced on November 30, 2016. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
Contestants must be at least 18 years of age. See Full Rules for all other eligibility requirements.
No, you do not have to use technology in your project.
Yes! You can enter the contest as long as you are 16 years or older. However, we are not able to accept entries from residents of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria.
Yes, you can add an existing Hackster project to our contest. However, any views and Respects that your project received prior to submitting it to our contest will not be counted. We will keep track of the number of views and Respects your project received prior to your submission.
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.