- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- Free hardware application: Do I have to submit a project entry if I receive free hardware?
- Free hardware application: How many free devices are available?
- Free hardware application: How many ideas can I submit?
- Free hardware application: I was notified that I was selected to receive one of free devices. When will I receive it?
- Free hardware application: What happens if I receive free hardware and do not submit a project entry?
- Free hardware application: What kind of idea is more likely to win free hardware?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
Participants who receive free hardware and do not submit a project may be ineligible for future giveaways unless the hardware is returned.
If you receive free hardware and become unable to submit a project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know as soon as possible. We may choose to arrange for the hardware to be shipped to another participant.
To be eligible for judging, you must meet ALL of the following requirements unless otherwise stated:
- You must be registered as a participant for this contest.
- Your entry must be your own original work.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Hackster contest.
- Your team is no more than 5 members per entry.*
*By entering a submission to this contest on behalf of a team, you acknowledge that you are the designated representative authorized to act on behalf of your team. (See full rules below for details)
Hardware Application Requirements
Note: If you choose to submit an application for free hardware, you must meet the following requirements. If not, continue to 'Hardware/Software Build Requirements' below.
- Your hardware application must be submitted via the online application form found on the contest page’s “apply for hardware” tab.
- Your hardware application must be written in English.
- Your hardware application must use the Pyroelectric Infrared Sensor
- Your hardware application must solve a problem related to sensors
- Your hardware application must be submitted by Oct 10, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT.
Hardware/Software Build Requirements
- Your project must be created using the Pyroelectric Infrared Sensor
- Your project must be a/an sensor related solution
- Your project must solve a problem related to sensors
Project Documentation Requirements
- Your project must include a project name, short project description, cover image, bill of materials (BOM), full instructions, images, and relevant resource files (schematics, code, CAD).
- Your project must be written in English.
- Your project must be submitted by Mar 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT.
Your project will be judged according to the rubric below.
- Project Documentation (30 points)
Story/Instructions - Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or a video demonstration of your solution working as intended. Ask yourself: “If I were a beginner reading this project, would I understand how to recreate it?”
- KEMET part implementation (10 points)
Detail the hardware, software and/or tools used. Did you use KEMET parts where available?
- Schematics/Board Layout (10 points)
Draw your circuit diagrams using software like Fritzing.org and/or take detailed photographs. Is your layout efficiently routed?
- Code & Contribution (20 points)
Include working code with helpful comments.
- Creativity (30 points)
Your idea doesn’t have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea)
- Electronic Visa Gift Card & Trip to Florida ($5,000 value)
- Electronic Visa Gift Card & Trip to Florida ($4,000 value)
- Electronic Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars) ($1,000 value) (4 are available)
- Trip to Japan ($4,000 value)
- Electronic Visa Gift Card (prize value in US dollars) ($100 value) (10 are available)
Step 1: Register for the Contest
- Start by creating a free account on Hackster.io (or sign-in if already a member).
- Register for the contest by clicking “Register as a participant”.
Step 2: Build and Document Your Project
- Build your project according to the submission requirements.
- Document your project build using Hackster’s project template. To create a new project, click “create new project” on the contest page or the “+” symbol in the top right corner of your Hackster page.
Step 3: Review and submit your project
- Review your project and make sure it meets all the submission requirements.
- Upload a previously created project by clicking “add existing project” on the contest page.
- Submit your project by Mar 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT by clicking “review and submit project” on the contest page.
September 10, 2019 at 9:00 AM PT
Applications for hardware close:
October 10, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT
Hardware recipients announced:
October 17, 2019
March 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM PT
March 23, 2020
Free devices winners will be announced by October 17, 2019. The list of winners will be visible on the Apply for hardware tab.
Contest winners will be announced on March 23, 2020. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are at least 13 years of age
If you are 12 years or younger, you must receive a legal guardian's permission and have them complete Hackster’s contest permission form prior to submitting an entry into this contest. Send any questions to email@example.com.
- You are not a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria
US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to the countries listed above, therefore residents of these countries are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this contest.
- You are not an immediate family member or household member of a Hackster employee.
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.