- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- I was notified that I was selected to receive one of free devices. When will I receive it?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
To be eligible for judging, an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements:
To receive a free hardware:
- You must create a free Hackster.io account and register as a participant for this contest.
- Your original idea must be submitted via the idea form.
- Ideas should be submitted in the English language.
- Your idea must include use of the Nova Cellular USB Modem and the Raspberry Pi Zero W.
To win one of the Grand Prizes:
- Your project must be created using the Nova Cellular USB Modem and the Raspberry Pi Zero W.
- Your project must be relevant to the theme of the contest.
- Your final project must be fully documented on Hackster with the project template.
- Your final project must be submitted using the project template.
- Your final project documentation must include the following:
f) CAD (if relevant to the project)
- Your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
Winners are selected based on the following criteria:
Project Documentation (60 points)
- Story/Instructions - Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video
- BOM – Detail the hardware components as well as apps you used
- Schematics – Use software like Fritzing.org, draw your circuit diagrams, detailed photographs
- Code – Include working code with helpful comments
- Great photographs, videos, and screenshots are worth a thousand words. Ask yourself: "If I were a beginner reading this project, would I understand how to recreate it?"
- Project must clearly address the contest theme
- Project must be able to explain a complicated idea simply
Creativity (25 points)
- Your idea doesn't have to be perfect , but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea).
Use of Hologram Services (15 points)
- Use of the Nova Cellular USB Modem and the Raspberry Pi Zero W and/or more of the suggested hardware and software.
- Best in Gateways will receive: Apple Watch Series 3 + Hologram Advanced Kit + $100 Hologram data credit (2 are available).
- Best in Remote Controlling will receive: Apple Watch Series 3 + Hologram Advanced Kit + $100 Hologram data credit (2 are available).
- Best in Asset Tracking will receive: Apple Watch Series 3 + Hologram Advanced Kit + $100 Hologram data credit (2 are available).
- Best in Remote Monitoring will receive: Apple Watch Series 3 + Hologram Advanced Kit + $100 Hologram data credit (2 are available).
- Submit your idea by Oct 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT
- If you are not already a member, you will need to create a free Hackster.io account.
- Register for the contest by clicking "Register as a participant" on the main contest page.
- Submit your idea by clicking "Apply to receive a hardware" fill in the form.
- Teams of up to 3 people are allowed.
- Participant agrees to pay local tax at customs if applicable in order to receive the free hardware.
- Idea reviews and hardware awarding make take up to 14 days from date of submission.
- US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
How to submit your project to be eligible to win one of the grand prizes (no purchase necessary, no prior entries required):
- Build and submit your project by Jan 22, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT
- Build your project using the Nova Cellular USB Modem and the Raspberry Pi Zero W
- Add a new project by clicking the "+" symbol at the top right side of the screen and follow the submission template.
- Share detailed instructions with images in the story section.
- Share the bill of materials.
- Share the electronics schematics.
- Share the source code (optionally via Github or Bitbucket).
- Share the CAD files (if relevant).
Project submissions open:
October 5, 2017 at 8:00 AM PT
Deadline to apply for free devices:
October 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT
Project submissions close:
January 22, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT
Winners announced by:
January 30, 2018
Winners of free devices will be announced individually by email on a rolling basis.
Contest winners will be announced on January 30, 2018. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are a hobbyist or professional in the field of technology development and
- If you are considered a minor in your place of residence, then you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this challenge.
- You are NOT a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria; and
- US. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this Challenge; and
- You are not an immediate family member of (parent, sibling, spouse/domestic partner, child) or household member of a Hackster employee;
- You are not a Hologram employee, a Raspberry Pi employee or a Government Official
- Persons who are (1) residents of US embargoed countries, (2) ordinarily resident in US embargoed countries, or (3) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs may not participate in this contest.
- You hereby release Hologram and its affiliates from any liability associated with your entry and you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Hologram, its parent corporation, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs, or debt and expenses (including attorney's fees) arising from: (i) your use of and access to Hologram for your entry; (ii) your violation of any term of this Promotion Policy or any other Hologram policies; (iii) any violation within your entry of any third party right, including any copyright, property, publicity (including defamation), or privacy right; (iv) any claim from any third party relating to or arising from your entry including for any prizes awarded or the failure to award such prizes; or (v) any claim that your entry violates any law, rule, or regulation. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive the termination of the service, changes to this Promotion Policy or any other Hologram policies.
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.