- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
To be eligible for judging, you must meet ALL of the following requirements unless otherwise stated:
- You must be registered as a participant for this contest.
- Your entry must be your own original work. Learn more about copyright and open-source guidelines.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Hackster contest.
- Your team can be of any size.
- Your project must be a/an easy-to-replicate, low-cost open-source solution to detect or protect Covid-19 in developing countries.
*By entering a submission to this contest on behalf of a team, you acknowledge that you are the designated representative authorized to act on behalf of your team. (See full rules below for details)
Project Documentation Requirements
- Your project must include a project name, project description, cover image, bill of materials (BOM), full instructions, images, and relevant resource files (schematics, code, CAD).
- Your project must be written in English.
- Your project must be submitted by Jun 30, 2020 at 12:00 AM PT.
Viability/ Deployability (30 points)
Consider the cost, scalability of your project. Does the solution translate to real-world benefits, particularly in developing country contexts? Think, can this solution be deployed and manufactured to the most at-risk regions? Will your solution require resources on the ground in deployed areas (3D printers, cellular networks)? Is it easy to use? The closer you can get your project to an all-inclusive, turnkey solution, the better.
Does it help reduce the overall impact on communities? Our panel of expert judges with backgrounds in technology transfer, medicine, manufacturing, international development, and innovation will consider the benefits of your solution to at-risk and developing regions.
Project Story/Instructions (30 points)
Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or a video demonstration of your solution working as intended. Ask yourself: “Could someone in the field understand how to replicate your project from reading your instructions?”. The ability to recreate, manufacture, and ship your design is crucial to helping the affected regions.
Documentation (20 points)
Include working code, CAD files, design files, schematics and/or additional documentation.
Creativity (10 points)
Your idea doesn’t have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea).
Open Source Assessment (10 points)
Is your project fully open source? Because we want these solutions to be easily and quickly reproduced en masse, your solution must not include proprietary software or hardware that is difficult or expensive to obtain and/or use. Do you anticipate data protection issues or data privacy complications? Imagine your solution being implemented in a region with little ability to regulate proprietary software and/or hardware.
- The Global UNDP Innovator Award ($1,500 value) (10 are available)
- The Hackster Impact Detect Award ($500 value) (10 are available)
- The Hackster Impact Protect Award ($500 value) (10 are available)
Step 1: Register for the Contest
- Start by creating a free account on Hackster.io (or sign-in if already a member).
- Register for the contest by clicking “Register as a participant” on the contest page.
Step 2: Build and Document Your Project
- Build your project according to the submission requirements.
- Document your project build using Hackster’s project template. To create a new project, click “create new project” on the contest page or the “+” symbol in the top right corner of your Hackster page.
Step 3: Review and submit your project
- Review your project and make sure it meets all the submission requirements.
- Upload a previously created project by clicking “add existing project” on the contest page.
- Submit your project by Jun 30, 2020 at 12:00 AM PT by clicking “review and submit project” on the contest page.
April 14, 2020 at 8:00 AM PT
June 30, 2020 at 12:00 AM PT
July 10, 2020
Contest winners will be announced on July 10, 2020. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at thetime of entry:
- You are at least 13 years of age
If you are 12 years or younger, you must receive a legal guardian's permission and have them complete Hackster’s contest permission form prior to submitting an entry into this contest. Send any questions to email@example.com.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this contest.
- You are not an immediate family member or household member of a Hackster employee.
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.