You must be 18 years or older and resident of the United States during the time of submission. Winners must be able to attend the Not Impossible Awards Show and be available for film production. Winners must execute a media, marketing and photo release. The decisions of the selection committee are final.
To be eligible for judging, you must meet ALL of the following requirements unless otherwise stated:
- You must be registered as a participant for this contest.
- Your entry must be your own original work.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Hackster contest.
Hardware/Software Build Requirements
- Your project must have both a hardware and software component.
- Your project must solve a problem that addresses humanitarian problems.
Project Documentation Requirements
- Your project must include a project name, short project description, cover image, bill of materials (BOM), full instructions, images, and relevant resource files (schematics, code, CAD).
- Your project must be written in English.
Winner selection is based on excellence in meeting the award criteria of Concept, Value, Execution, Impact and Creativity. These criteria are meant to encompass the ever-evolving meaning of "innovation" and act as a guideline for applicants and judges alike. We believe these guidelines create an equitable, evaluation criteria that allows for a thorough and creative assessment of each candidate.
CONCEPT: Opportunity, Intent, Innovation and Implementation
We are interested in projects that identify absurdities in the world and work to address them through out-of-the-box approaches that can lead to new markets or industries. With your help, we want to understand the journey you and your team are on to develop, innovate, prototype and implement your solution.
VALUE: Need, Feasibility and Accessibility
We are looking for individuals and companies who have taken actionable steps to create disruptive technological solutions with the intent to solve issues of inability and inaccessibility. We want to understand what need your product addresses and in what ways it provides a solution or separates itself from existing solutions.
EXECUTION: Audience, Reception and Accomplishments
We find the greatest value in knowing our audience and take pride in our ability to communicate with them in inspiring and impactful ways. We want to fully understand the message and story behind your innovation. Who are your consumers and what are some notable ways they have reacted to and/or engaged with your product? If your product hasn’t launched, what is your innovation's value proposition and how do you hope your product will be received?
IMPACT: Data, Scalability and Potential
Not Impossible works with experts from across all industries and skill sets to build meaningful and viable progress towards making a larger impact. Help us understand the potential of your innovation's current and future impact on society and the world through examples of story and data.
CREATIVITY: Originality, Character and Story
Not Impossible's "Help one. Help many." philosophy has manifested in our signature ability to reach and impact people at large with the way we tell the stories of the people we support. In addition to concrete examples of your work, we want you to be bold and share your failures along with your successes as well the turning points and crises you experienced along your journey.
How to enter
Step 1: Register for the Contest
- Start by creating a free account on Hackster.io (or sign-in if already a member).
- Register for the contest by clicking “Register as a participant”.
Step 2: Build and Document Your Project
- Build your project according to the submission requirements.
- Document your project build using Hackster’s project template. To create a new project, click “create new project” on the contest page or the “+” symbol in the top right corner of your Hackster page.
Step 3: Review and submit your project
- Review your project and make sure it meets all the submission requirements.
- Upload a previously created project by clicking “add existing project” on the contest page.
- Submit your project by Mar 11, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT by clicking “review and submit project” on the contest page.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
The Not Impossible Awards Contest (the “Contest”) is open to individuals who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry, who have launched a product that is externally available to end users, or currently under development and is expected to be made available to end users before June 1, 2020 and who submit applications to the Contest website at https://notimpossiblelabs.submittable.com/submit (the “Contest Website”). Employees and non-employee workers of Not Impossible Labs (“Sponsor”, “we”, “us”, “our”), and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, shareholders, officers, directors, agents, representatives and employees or other companies associated with the promotion of the Contest, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee or non-employee worker are not eligible to participate in the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void wherever prohibited by law.
AGREEMENT TO CONTEST RULES
AGREEMENT TO CONTEST RULES
i. Supporting materials with respect to the Applicant’s product;
ii. Information regarding the Applicant’s teammates (if Applicant is an individual) or Applicant’s team members (if Applicant is an entity).
Submissions will close on a rolling basis by category:
- Healthcare Breakthrough - Healthcare Category - Closing February 11, 2019
- Impact Sustainability - Sustainability Category - Closing February 14, 2019
- Limitless Award - Adaptive and Accessibility Category - Closing February 19, 2019
- Internet of Things Category & Wildcard Category - Closing March 10, 2019
Winners notified by - March 31, 2019
Not Impossible Awards Show in Los Angeles - June 2019
Note: Contest end dates are at the sole discretion of Hackster and/or the contest sponsor and may be subject to change.
Sponsor retains the right to reject anApplicant if such Applicant’ Submitted Materials contain any offensive, derogatory, obscene or other material which is inconsistent with the Sponsor’s mission, as determined by Sponsor’s sole discretion.
The examination of an Application for consideration shall include, but not be limited to, the following criteria as interpreted bySponsor in its sole discretion:
i. Concept: Extent to which a Submitted Project identifies absurdities in the world and works to address them through out-of-the-box approaches (opportunity, intent, innovation, and implementation);
ii. Value: Extent to which an Applicant has taken actionable steps to create disruptive technological solutions with intent to solve issues of inability and inaccessibility (need, feasibility, scalability and accessibility);
iii. Execution: Extent to which the Submitted Project identifies consumers and their reaction to the product (audience, reception, and accomplishments);
iv. Impact: Extent to which the Submitted Project has potential to impact society(data scalability and potential), and;
v. Creativity: Applicant’s creativity in developing the story of their backgrounds and where they want to take their products.
By submitting the Submitted Materials,Applicant represents and warrants that (1) all Submitted Materials are accurate and complete, (2) the Submitted Materials are the Applicant’s original work product; and (3) the Submitted Materials, and the display, publication, or other use of the Submitted Materials do not and will not infringe the intellectual property rights, privacy rights, or publicity rights of any third person or entity.
CONFIDENTIALITY BACKGROUND CHECK
To the maximum extent permissible under applicable laws, Sponsor reserves the right to have an Applicant submit to a confidential background check in order to be considered as a winner.
Each winner shall receive compensation for domestic travel to and from the Awards
Ceremony, access to mentorship from select individuals and groups, comprised of industry experts, possible access to opportunities for flash funding through additional partners, access to publicity, and marketing and media exposure through Sponsor’s network and participations in the Not Impossible Awards.
ELIGIBILITY FOR WINNER CONSIDERATION
Applicants shall be required to agree to the following to be considered for final determination as a winner:
i. Provide consent for Sponsors to film Applicant’s story and products for presentation during the Not Impossible Awards Ceremony and upload and distribute such recording through Sponsor’s various platforms and partner platforms;
ii. Participate in a quarterly progress check-in to work with Sponsor on further developments for Applicants’ products in association or connection with Sponsor and Sponsor’s partners;
iii. Discuss first right for investment in Applicant’s’ projects;
iv. Provide consent for a criminal, financial and other background check to be conducted on the Applicant or Applicant’s team members;
v. Sponsors’ partners are intended third-party beneficiaries of this Agreement and shall have all of the rights afforded to Sponsor under this Agreement.
vi. Attend the 2019 Not ImpossibleAwards ceremony.
APPLICANTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO SIGN ADDITIONAL TERMS AS REQUIRED BY SPONSORS’ PARTNERS WHERE SUCH TERMS ARE REQUIRED FOR REGULATORY COMPLIANCE.
PRIVACY AND PUBLICITY
Applicants are solely responsible for any taxes on any awards or prizes. In the event that the operation, security, or administration of any individual Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but, not limited to, fraud, human error, virus or other technical problems, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) modify the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of the Contest Rules without suspending it; (b) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume theContest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of the Contest Rules; or(c) cancel the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Contest Rules of the Contest or any other promotion, or in a disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of any part of any Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted bylaw. The Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of the Contest Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
Except where prohibited by law, by participating in the Contest, each Applicant agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, promotional partners, prize partners, providers and their respective agents and agencies, officers, directors, and employees, its third party sponsors and vendors, including vendors / suppliers of rewards, as well as any specific parties that may be identified on the Contest Website, (the “Released Parties”)from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt, use or misuse of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, cellular, or network lines; (c) printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest; (d) errors in these Contest Rules, in the Contest-related advertisements or other materials; the selection or announcement of potential winners or the announcement or distribution of prizes; the cancellation, suspension or preemption of any contest, scoring tabulation, point tabulation or timing errors or other problems or errors of any kind that may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries, whether mechanical, human, electronic, typographical, printing or otherwise;(e) late, lost, or undeliverable mail or email, or other physical or electronic submissions; (f) alleged or actual violations of rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional; (g) the use of or defect in any rewards; or (h) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole orin part, from Applicant's participation in the Contest or receipt, use or misuse of any prize. ALL REWARDS OR OTHER ITEMS ON THE CONTEST WEBSITE OR OTHERWISE PROVIDED BY THE SPONSOR ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ORNON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TOYOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
Applicant further agrees that in any cause of action not waived above, the Released Parties' liability will be limited to the lesser of the actual retail value of the reward (if applicable) and the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney's fees. Applicant waives the right to claim any damages
whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages (other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses or statutory damages) and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. If for any reason anApplicant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, Applicant's sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, if it is possible. Applicant agrees that any claim under theseContest Rules not waived above must be brought within six (6) months after the cause of action arises, or such claim or cause of action shall be barred. IF APPLICANT IS A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, APPLICANT WAIVES CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE SECTION 1542,WHICH STATES: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THERE LEASE, WHICH, IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR” (OR ANY EQUIVALENT STATUTORY PROVISION WITH A SIMILAR IMPORT OR INTENT). IF APPLICANT IS A RESIDENT OF A STATE OTHER THAN CALIFORNIA,APPLICANT EXPLICITLY WAIVES THE TERMS AND PROTECTIONS OF ANY STATUTE OF HIS/HER STATE THAT HAS A SIMILAR IMPORT OR INTENT.
By using the Contest Website and / or participating in the Contest, Applicant agrees that the FederalArbitration Act, applicable federal law, and the laws of the State ofCalifornia, without regard to its principles on conflicts of laws, will govern the Contest, Applicant’s use of the Contest Website, and any dispute of any sort that might arise between Applicant and Sponsor.
Applicant and Sponsor agree that any dispute or claim relating to the Contest or Applicant’s use of theContest Website will be resolved through binding arbitration, rather than in court, except that Applicant may assert claims in small claims court ifApplicant’s claims qualify. In addition, Applicant and Sponsor both agree that either party may bring suit in court to enjoin infringement or other misuse of intellectual property rights. If for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than in arbitration, Applicant and Sponsor each waive any right to a jury trial.
Applicant and Sponsor agree that each may bring claims against the other only in Applicant’s or its individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class, consolidated, representative action, or private attorney general action. Further, unless both Applicant and Sponsor agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding. Notwithstanding the foregoing, this arbitration agreement does not preclude Applicant from bringing issues to the attention of federal, state, or local agencies. Such agencies can, if the law allows, seek relief against Sponsor on Applicant’s behalf. This entire arbitration provision shall survive termination of the Contest.
To begin an arbitration proceeding, Applicant must send a certified letter requesting arbitration and describing Applicant’s claim to Sponsor at the contact set forth in Section 15(Contact Us), below. The arbitration will be conducted by the American ArbitrationAssociation (AAA) under its rules, including the Commercial Dispute ResolutionProcedures and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes of the AAA, as modified by this Agreement (collectively, "AAA Rules").The AAA Rules and costs are available online at www.adr.orgor by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879.
If your participation violates ANY of the following, you may be disqualified.
- Your entry must be your own original work.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Hackster contest.
- You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry.
- Your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people, code, schematics etc...) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
- Your entry must comply with your employer’s gift policies.
Hardware applications and/or project entries may NOT contain ANY of the following content:
- Content that is sexually explicit.
- Content that is unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group.
- Content that is profane or pornographic.
- Content that promotes illegal drugs, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda.
- Content that is obscene or offensive.
- Content that defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies.
- Content that communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate.
- Content that violates any law.
We reserve the right to reject an entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine contains any of the above content.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT COPYRIGHT
Your entire entry must only include material (including hardware, source code – both open source and third party sourced, user interface, music, video or images) that you own or that you have permission from the copyright/trademark owner to use. Your and/or your team’s entry may not include copyrighted materials (such as source code, user interface, background music, images or video) unless you own or have permission to use the materials. Ownership is not defined as purchasing a CD at a music store for replay, if playing a copyrighted recording on your guitar or repurposing an application’s user interface – your entry may be disqualified if copyrighted materials, including but not limited to these examples, are a part of your entry without appropriate licensing or permissions. If you do use permissible copyrighted materials, you must include the permissions information by citing the artist/creator and license information. Note that even material released under sites such as Creative Commons, common open source code licenses, and other similar licensing may need permission or acknowledgement as per the specific license.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY POTENTIALLY BE USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you agree to ALL of the following statements:
- You grant us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of this contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed).
- You agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above.
- You understand that after the submission deadline has passed, any project that has been submitted to the contest cannot be deleted or made private and will remain on the contest page after the contest has concluded.
- You understand and acknowledge that the sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry.
- You understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these full rules.
Please note that following the end of this contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry. If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this contest.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this contest you are agreeing to the following statements:
- You agree to abide by these full rules.
- You agree to release and hold harmless Hackster, Not Impossible Labs and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this contest, or any prize won.
- You agree that your personal data including your name, email address, personal address, phone number, and any other personal information disclosed during the duration of this contest may be shared with and used by Hackster and Not Impossible Labs in order to facilitate the execution of this contest.
- You agree that Hackster’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this contest.
- You agree that, by accepting a prize, Hackster may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS ADMINISTRATED?
This contest will be governed by the laws of the State of California, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this contest.
These rules for the Contest are severable, and if any portion is determined invalid or unenforceable by a body of competent jurisdiction, the remaining portions will remain valid, enforceable and in effect to the fullest extent consistent with applicable law.
Applicant may direct any questions, complaints or claims with respect to the Contest to:
Telephone Number: 310-577-9963
Any notices are to be provided pursuant to these Contest Rules.