- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
- Can you share the Hexiwear design resources?
- What IDE is used to program Hexiwear?
- Where can I buy a Hexiwear?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
To be eligible for judging, an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements:
Free Hexiwear kit:
- You must create a free Hackster.io account and register as a participant for this contest.
- Your original idea must be submitted via the idea form.
- All ideas must be submitted in the English language.
- You must make reference to the Hexiwear platform.
- Your project must be created using the Hexiwear platform.
- Your final project must be fully documented on Hackster per the “project” template.
- Your final project must be submitted within the project template.
- Your final project must consist of the following materials:
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
Winners are selected based on the following criteria:
Free Hexiwear kit:
- Presentation (20 points)
- The way you describe and present your idea. The easier to understand, the better!
- Demonstrated use of the Hexiwear kit (60 points)
- Are you using Hexiwear to the full extent of its potential? Are you using it in ways never seen before?
- Creativity (20 points)
- Your idea doesn't have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea).
- Project Documentation (60 points)
- Story/Instructions – Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video (20 points)
- BOM – Detail the hardware components as well as apps you used (10 points)
- Schematics – Use software like Fritzing.org, draw your circuit diagrams, and/or take detailed photographs (10 points)
- Code – Include working code with helpful comments (20 points)
- Great photographs, videos, and screenshots are worth a thousand words. Ask yourself: "If I were a beginner reading this project, would I understand how to recreate it?"
- Creativity (40 points)
- Your idea doesn't have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea). It must relate to the Hexiwear platform.
- Home Innovation will receive: DJI Phantom 3 Professional Limited Edition Carbon Fiber Color Bundle Kit Includes 1 Battery and a Hard Case and Carbon Fiber Propellers Quadcopter Drone w 4K UHD Video Camera.
- Robotics Innovation will receive: DJI Phantom 3 Professional Limited Edition Carbon Fiber Color Bundle Kit Includes 1 Battery and a Hard Case and Carbon Fiber Propellers Quadcopter Drone w 4K UHD Video Camera.
- Wearables Innovation will receive: DJI Phantom 3 Professional Limited Edition Carbon Fiber Color Bundle Kit Includes 1 Battery and a Hard Case and Carbon Fiber Propellers Quadcopter Drone w 4K UHD Video Camera.
- Best use of Autodesk's Fusion 360 will receive: Best use of Autodesk's Fusion 360 as part of your Hexiwear design. Win one amazing SpaceMouse Enterprise Kit: Built for Top Engineering Performance.
- Best Developer Testimonial will receive: Meet JD, a fully functional humanoid robot kit. JD boasts 16 degrees of freedom with metal gear heavy duty servo motors..
- ARM mbed Design will receive: Build with Hexiwear + ARM mbed and experience the lifelike thrill of virtual reality with the Oculus Rift..
Free Hexiwear board:
- Submit your idea by June 30, 2016
- If you are not already a member, you will need to create a free Hackster.io account.
- Register for the contest by clicking "Register as a participant" on the main contest page.
- Submit your idea by clicking "Apply to receive a Hexiwear kit" and filling in the form.
- Teams of up to 3 people are allowed.
- Participant agrees to pay local tax at customs if applicable in order to receive the Hexiwear kit.
- Please wait a few days while we review and moderate your idea submission.
- Build and submit your project by August 29, 2016
- Build your project using the Hexiwear platform.
- Add a new project by clicking the + symbol at the top right side of the screen and follow the submission template.
- Share detailed instructions with images in the story section
- Share the bill of materials
- Share the electronics schematics
- Share the source code (optionally via Github or Bitbucket)
- Share the CAD files
Project submissions open:
May 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM PT
Deadline to apply for free devices:
July 15, 2016 at 11:59 PM PT
Project submissions close:
October 9, 2016 at 11:59 PM PT
Winners announced by:
October 26, 2016
Winners of free hardware will be announced individually by email on a rolling basis.
Contest winners will be announced on October 26, 2016. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are a hobbyist or professional in the field of technology development; and
- If you are considered a minor in your place of residence, then you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this challenge.
- You are NOT a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria; and
- US. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this Challenge; and
- You are not an immediate family member of (parent, sibling, spouse/domestic partner, child) or household member of a Hackster employee; and
- You can participate as an NXP® B.V. employee.
Hexiwear is completely open source. The Kinetis Design Studio IDE is also available on MikroElektronika’s GitHub channel. You will be able to use the source code as a starting point for your own projects. The hardware design files, all the layouts and schematics, will soon be available too.
Check the Hexiwear website for more information.
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.