UPDATE: View RECORDING of our Getting Started Webinar with Kris Davies from Amazon!
Whether it is an empty bottle of laundry detergent after a weekend camping trip or no coffee beans on a Monday morning, we all hate the “ran out of it” moment. As IoT technology has continued to evolve, Amazon believes there are more opportunities than ever to help consumers and businesses avoid the “ran out of it” moment by enabling connected devices to automatically reorder consumable products. The result is Dash Replenishment Service (DRS).
Launched in 2015, DRS provides connected devices with direct access to Amazon’s powerful retail platform. With easy-to-use APIs, device manufacturers can take advantage of Amazon's authentication and payment systems, customer service, and fulfillment network to build unique automatic reordering experiences for customers – like a Whirlpool washing machine that reorders laundry detergent before the last load.
Most DRS-enabled connected devices share the following core components:
- Sensors to measure consumption (e.g. weight, density, count).
- Communication module (e.g. Wi-Fi, BLE) to send consumption data to the cloud.
- Microprocessor (to run your business logic/manage signals from your sensors).
- Customer setup / configuration.
As Amazon looks to create the next generation of unique customer experiences built around DRS, it has a challenge for the Hackster community: create something great that helps advance the DRS vision of automatic or low-friction consumable replenishment.
While you can build a customer-facing connected device or create new uses for their APIs, Amazon is also interested in the foundational building blocks like sensors and communication modules upon which great DRS-enabled connected devices are built.
Phase I: We're giving away $100 to the top 50 project ideas!
[UPDATE: Idea applications are now closed and $100 prizes have been awarded]
Submit your idea for what you want to make with Amazon DRS by Oct 31, 2016. The top 50 ideas will receive a $100 cash prize.
Phase II: Build your project and enter to win one of 3 grand prizes!
- Create a free Hackster account
- Register to participate in the contest
- Create an Amazon Developer account using the same email address as that used for your Hackster account
- Design, build, and submit your project by Feb 26, 2017 (add your project to the contest by clicking on “Add my Project” and submit by clicking on “Submit to Contest”)
Phase III: Winner selection
Each project must be fully documented on Hackster using the “project” template and should include the following materials:
- CAD (if any)
- Relevance to automatic or low-friction consumable reordering via Amazon Dash Replenishment (25 points).
- Creativity (20 points).
- Story/Instructions – Show how you created your project, including images and screenshots (15 points).
- Project documentation, including working code, schematics, CAD, and/or BOM (10 points).
- BONUS – Use of DRS APIs (10 points).
- BONUS – Consumer-facing, DRS-enabled connected device submitted for DRS certification at https://developer.amazon.com/dash-replenishment/drs_portal.html (10 points).
- BONUS – Video highlighting unique features of your project (10 points).
Here are some resources you may find useful:
Getting Started Webinar [VIEW RECORDING]
Getting Started with DRS:
We can’t wait to see what you develop!
We will announce winners on this page by Mar 13, 2017.
1st Place (Grand Prize)
2nd Place (Grand Prize)
3rd Place (Grand Prize)
October 13, 2016 at 11:59PM PT
Applications for hardware close
October 31, 2016 at 11:59PM PT
February 26, 2017 at 11:55PM PT
Winners announced by
March, 13 2017