This project was conceived to tie together Alexa, Particle.io, Photon, and IFTTT to create an entertaining Hanukkah menorah. I used a PCB I designed that was based on the Open Sprinkler board format. I did 2 of these boards: one with the Electric IMP and the followup that works with either the Particle.io Photon and/or Stardust IoT boards. The Particle has the advantage that it is easily available and has web tools based on the relatively easy-to-use Arduino format. It is also a single $20 board that plugs into the Sprinkler Board, rather than two $20 devices that the Electric Imp requires. All three use the same Broadcom (now Cypress WICED platform).
IFTTT is the glue that connects Alexa to the Photon.
Bare Board of Sprinkler Controller
Loaded board powered by Radio Shack 12AC Transformer
This board is using re-wired connections between the digital outputs of the Photon into a 330 ohm Resistor network and then to sensitive gate Triacs. The board is powered by the 12VAC transformer into an AC/ 5.0 volt power supply.
Particle code exposes two functions "LED" and "Menorah". "LED" allows control over each digital output separately, while "Menorah" uses an input of a number from 0 to 8. I wrote an IFTTT call for each number from 1 to * and a call to OFF for 0. Here is an example of the IFTTT setup.
Example of Call to set all 8 LEDS on for menorah.
The unloaded sprinkler board is available upon request - price not yet known.
Bill of Material
As of 1/3/2017
Comment | Pattern / Quantity | Components
- 100nF FRAD 0.1 / 3 (C3, C4, C5) Cap Cer 0.1uF 25V 10% Radial
- 100uF RB 3.5mm-8mm / 1 (C2) Cap Alum 100uF 50V 20% Radial
- 10K Axial 0.4 / 3 (R5, R6, R9) Res MF 1/4W 10K Ohm 1% Axial
- 1N4001 Axial 0.4 Diode / 1 (D2) Rectifier 50V 1A DO-41
- 1N5819 Axial 0.4 Diode / 1 (D1) Diode Schottky 40V 1A DO-41
- 1R0 Axial 0.4 / 2 (R1, R2)
- 20K Axial 0.4 / 1 (R4) Res 20K Ohm 1/4W 5% Carbon film
- 220p RadCap 0.1 / 1 (C7) Cap Cer 220pF 100V 5% Radial
- 220uF RB 2mm-5mm / 1 (C1) Cap Alum 220uF 6.3V 20% Radial
- 220uH RB 5mm-9mmDIA / 1 (L1) Inductor
- 30K Axial 0.4 / 2 (R3, R7) Res 30.1K Ohm Metal film .40W 1%
- JP3 SIP-3 / 1 (JP1) 3-Pin Jumper
- MAC97 TO-92 / 8 (T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6, T7, T8) Thyristor Triac .6A 600V TO92
- MC33063/34063 DIP8 / 1 (U1)
- MC74HC595AN DIP-16 / 1 (U3) 8-Bit Serial-Input/Serial or Parallel-Output Shift Register with Latched 3-State Outputs
- OSTTC02 OSTTC02 / 1 (P4) Terminal Block 5mm Vert 2pos PCB
- OSTTC03 OSTTC03 / 2 (P1, P3) Terminal Block 5mm Vert 3pos PCB
- OSTTC080162 OSTTC08 / 1 (P2) Terminal Block 5mm Vert 8pos PCB
- Photon PHOTON / 1 (Photon)
- PTCPTH PTC / 1 (PTC) Fuse PTC Resettable .75A Hold
- R-PACK-8-16 DIP-16 / 1 (R8) Res Array 330 Ohm 8 Res 16-DIP
- STARDUST_IoT Stardust_IoT / 1 (StardustIoT)
- TP SIP-1 / 3 (3V3, 5V, GND) Test Point