Our project is studying when the ideal circumstances are in the aquaponics lab by measuring the CO2, light, temperature, and humidity. When one of the values is in the targeted range, the light shines a certain color. This is an interesting question because it could benefit farmers, specifically the students in the class, and could help feed the rising population.
We decided to make this because we wanted to do something that would benefit the school. Originally, we wanted to work with a group in the green house and the aquaponics room, but we had to settle with just the aquaponics room. This device could be utilized at a later time for the class and could help them address problems they might have: the amount of light, too much/not enough co2, if it is too hot/cold, or if there isn't enough moisture in the air.
We originally wanted to build a hexagonal mote, but the device could not fit inside of the mote if it was created like this. Thus, we designed a box that could suit the requirements we had: fit the sensors, fit the light, have access for air to come through, and be able to see the light from the inside.
We debugged/developed our code by trial and error. It took us multiple days after it was suppose to be done and the full time help of Mr, Solin for three days to successfully craft our code.
Some challenges we encountered were the code and access to the aquaponics room. Originally, we were going to deploy on Monday, April 3rd. However, the teacher who watches the room wasn't there, so we didn't feel justified doing it without her permission. Thus, the project was delayed a day.