Software apps and online services
So, let's jump start, this crazy project is about creating a device which can check health of your automotive brakes, in this instance we have selected a bike, but it could work in any road vehicle.
Interesting fact, brakes are important for safety but it gets deteriorated overtime. It is used everyday, but there is no dial or any other way to measure this critical safety device has ran out or not.
BrakeMax is designed to be an accessory which can help solve this issue. The project name is inspired from the movie Big Hero 6 where BayMax being a health Assistant, as a metaphor BrakeMax will be the Brake Health assistant.Key Features :
- First Principle - Co-relating the amount of brake pressed vs Deceleration rate and some X,Y,Z parameters like range of speed for the Analysis.
- Indicating effectiveness of vehicle brakes would be a boon for control precision.
- Fundamental design to be applicable to all vehicle because first principle applies to all vehicle.
- Should be adaptable to all bikes (Mechanical is always beauty)
- Made using Android things over Raspberry pi 3.
Make the mechanical Assembly as shown in the image. So here is the Image of setup we did on bike.
Prepare the Raspberry Pi with android studio by following the instruction given on the android things installation instructions.
Connect the encoder to the Raspberry Pi as shown in the schematic. Connect the accelerometer as-well with the help of the schematics supplied. Power-up the raspberry pi.
Connect Raspberry Pi to your computer via a ethernet cable and open the project in android studio. Upload the project to the device and enjoy the cool project!
Note : No instruction were provided for mounting of the accelerometer and RPi on the Bike, it is very subjective to bike models.
Sample VideoHow it Works
- RPi gets data of angle of brake from Encoder
- RPi also gets data of Acceleration or Deceleration from Accelerometer (or Decelerometer ?)
- RPi also does the calculation, of Press of brake Vs Deceleration.
- RPi also send the Data over Screen or Internet or Bluetooth or Whatever Makes you happy.
- RPi is your reliable and Hardworking guy.
This project can be applied in Cars and Scooters and Bikes and Trucks and ... You get the idea. Just change the brake input mechanism.
More data can be collected very easily depending on what context you are looking at, for example if you are looking at advanced kit to become pro biker, you can introduce Gear Shifting, Acceleration, Tilting levels, Engine RPM, bara bara. If you combine all this data you can give excellent insight on driving quality, improvement suggestions etc etc.
Further analytic can be done just on these two sensors, like how millage could have affected due to braking, detection of type of road, etc etc.
Now just throw in a GPS and I leave rest to your imagination.