This system allow us to prevent a fire in our house with the sensor gas MQ2 that finds the presence of propane in the air.
In this case we are going to test this project in order to be sure that our system works in optimal contidions without technical problems.
How does it work?
Very simply we thought that we could use a sensor gas ( MQ-2 ) that detects if in the atmosphere there is gas and then if the sensor detects something a buzzer will make an acoustic signal and with a servo the window of the kitchen opens and the fan turn on.
At first we wrote a code where the logic is very easy: if the MQ-2detects a quantity of gas above the previously decided threshold the buzzer makes a sound for a few seconds and the window opens and the fan push out the residue gas, otherwise the buzzer makes no sound.
To create the prototype we designed a box with Solidworks and then we made that with the laser cut. To assemble the box we used vinyl glue. That box have two holes to put into the MQ-2 and the fan.
After that we connected the various components on the breadboard, so we tested the project's operation. When we realized that all the components are right we assembled everything.
Bill of materials
- ArduinoUNO: Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy to use hardware and software. It’s intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactiveobjects or environments.Arduino can sense the environment by receiving input from a varietyof sensors and can affect its surroundings by controlling lights, LEDs, motors, and other actuators.
- Breadboard: A breadboard is a solderless device for temporary prototype with electronics and test circuit designs. Most electronic components in electronic circuits can be interconnected by inserting their leads or terminals into the holes and then making connections through wires where appropriate.
- Servomotor: The button allow us to send a manual signal to Arduino. We’ve used it to emulate the functioning of the sensors.
- MQ-2 (gas sensor): Gas Sensor(MQ2) module is useful for gas leakage detecting(in home and industry).It can detect H2, LPG, CH4, CO, Alcohol, Smoke, Propane.
- Passive buzzer: Is an audio signalling device, which may be mechanical, electromechanical, or piezoelectric. Typical uses of buzzers and beepers include alarm devices, timers, and confirmationof user input such as a mouse click or keystroke.
- DC motor 3-6V : is one type of motor that uses the DC current to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. When the electric current passes through a coil in a magnetic field, a magnetic force will be generated, which produces a torque in the DC motor.
- Plywood box;
- General purpose transistor NPN: The transistor in which one p-type material is placed between two n-type materials is known as NPN transistor. The NPN transistor amplifies the weak signal enter into the base and produces strong amplify signals at the collector end. In NPN transistor, the direction of movement ofanelectron is from the emitter to collector region due to which the current constitutes in the transistor. Such type of transistor is mostly used in the circuit because their majority charge carriers are electrons which have high mobility as compared to holes.
- Diode: A diode is a specialized electronic component with two electrodes called the anodo and the cathode. Most diodes are made with semiconductor materials such as silicon, germanium, or selenium. Some diodes are comprised of metal electrodes in a chamber evacuated or filled with a pure elemental gas at low pressure. Diodes can be used as rectifiers, signal limiters, voltage regulators, switches, signal modulators, signal mixers, signal demodulators, and oscillators.
- Resistor 220Ω;
We were able to complete our project which allows us to be safer because with this idea fires will no be a problem. Also this project is not of difficult to built therefore anyone can do it again because it does not require very complex skills.