Given the bad quality of roads and traffic in India, driving is an intensely tiring activity, with start and stop, bumper to bumper traffic.
Drivers and passengers alike have no way of knowing how well are the driver is driving.
Passengers will often feel nauseous if the driver brakes and accelerates too fast, and has a very juvenile driving style.
A large number of vehicles in most metro cities belong to cab hailing apps, but the drivers themselves do not own the vehicle. It is imperative, then, the car owner keeps a track of how well the employed driver, drives the car to know and control.
1) Customer satisfaction: A drop in ratings will negatively affect revenues from the car/driver.
2) Car maintenance: Unwanted and rapid acceleration and deceleration leads to faster wear and tear of the car.
3) Increased Fuel Consumption: A rapid deceleration wastes energy in friction.
4) Long term health benefits: Backaches, neck pain, stress, body ache and the general feeling of tiredness is experienced after driving
5) Estimation of fatal accidents
The project will use an integrated device like the Arduino 101 with the onboard DOF, alongwith Bluetooth to enable measurement and reporting of acceleration data to a nearby phone.
This data will be correlated with GPS at the time of driving, to determine if the driver was
1) Changing lanes too fast at high speeds, thereby inviting an accident.
2) Driving aggressive in slow moving traffic
3) Driving slower than expected in a non-traffic bound road ( better fuel economy is achieved at higher gears in a manual transmission)
4) Came across an accident, that did not get reported.
5) Inform and beep the driver if his driving is starting to get aggressive, based on data in the last couple of seconds.